What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this ?

has it got any markings or numbers and some measurments might help with an id

regards lee

I would request more photos, such as angled shots of the ends, closer up.

two more photos for you - but thats it I'm afraid. The spade blade is about 10cm wide by 20cm depth. The item is about 6cm wide and around the same length as the spade blade. Sorry - not exact measurements as I'm not on site so might not help.
No markings as very rusty. I reckon it weighs about 5-6kgs.
Might be nothing more than some sort of old weight ...?

Attachments

• 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 96
Just a shot in the dark (no pun intended), but was there a place on the end that looked like at one time you could attach something to it? Many times they fixed weights with rope and pulleys to a gate so that it would close automatically when you went thru it. Done mostly on farms to keep livestock from getting out and saved you from having to stop and close the gate behind you. These weights vary in size and weight depending on the weight of the gate, but I have seen some that look a little like what you have.

Fine all I need to know. Didn't want to appear a pratt by listing but we found a live item a few years back on the same site which the Bomb Disposal team took away and detonated. Would be very unhappy if all the time I've spent doing up a barn just went up in smoke!!

Totally agree with EOD guy that it is a counterweight for automatic or easier closing of a door or window...Dano

But if not possitively indentified call the authorities. We always tell to people we never come for nothing. Rather come to a item which isn't ammunition then too late ( It detonated when moving or tampring with it ).
With doubt call the authorities.
Regards Blu.

Metal object?

Anna,
I'm more than sure that this is the business end of a Fence Post Hole "Driver" if you look at the blunt end of the item you will see some weld or rusted bits of metal ring this is were it was secured to a wooden shaft that could be his with a "Mall" to drive a pilot hole for the farmer fence post,. if they ever got stuck or broke of the farmer would just leave them or use them for counter weight for gates etc. During my time in Battle Area Clearance in the chalk of the South Downs Nr Brighton we dug up a number of these. Hope that helps.

REgards John :neutral: