What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of artillery is this?

sksvlad

A shell from Israeli artillery explodes over a house in al-Bustan, a Lebanese border village with Israel, south Lebanon, Sunday, Oct. 15, 2023. Hamas Palestinian militants in southern Lebanon fired 20 rockets into the northern Israeli towns of Schlomi and Nahariyya, the group said in a statement. They said it was "in response to the (Israeli) occupation's crimes against our people in Gaza". (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
ASSOCIATED PRESS
1697589809978.png

155mm Smoke. The carrier projectile has a mechanical time fuze which initiates ejection of a large cannister. Shortly after ejection a small opening charge ruptures the cannister and releases the payload, pre-cut felt wedges soaked in white phosphorus. The wedges allow for a more efficient dispersal and better smoke coverage, plus give a better control of the particle size and burn time.

Light green projectile to the right. The disk leaning against the base is the end cap from the cannister. I've got some of the felt wedges, but no photos at work.

Attachments

• Projo 2 copy.jpg
    Projo 2 copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Damn, it's great when folks keep better track of my stuff than I do!