What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What sort of Grenade is this?

SG500

Premium Member
This ones in a friends collection.
I'm completely out of my comfort zone here not being into grenades and all that.
What type is it?
Were many made?
All INERT etc. The fuze does come out but is a complete pain to put back in.
Dave.

Attachments

• 20 Nov 09 023.jpg
    20 Nov 09 023.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20 Nov 09 025.jpg
    20 Nov 09 025.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 53
  • 20 Nov 09 026.jpg
    20 Nov 09 026.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 48
grenade

It strongly resembles the British No16 Mk1 in shape. Perhaps it is a practice version of that grenade. Just a guess...Dano

why wood

What would be the reasoning of making the body of wood (it is wood is it not). I assume it is a practice grenade? Paul have you ever seen another similar? Questions, questions, guess i've just never seen the likes...Dano

Hi again, yes its brush strokes on metal.
The metal underneath is in good condition
Dave.

thumpin' #16

Well gentlemen, that certainly splains alot. I have had a few drinks but could have sworn that looks like wood. The old eyes just aint what they used to be. Certainly a very nice example of the No16 Mk1 grenade. I sold my No16 and wish I had not....Dano

Last edited:
Well gentlemen, that certainly splains alot. I have had a few drinks but could have sworn that looks like wood. The old eyes just aint what they used to be. Certainly a very nice example of the No16 Mk1 grenade. I sold my No16 and wish I had not....Dano

Looked wood to me too Dano, but then I have beer also!