What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Type of Explosive Was Used?

Kilroy was Here

Here's photos of a "Stalins Perfume Bottle" glass bottle charge for the Soviet WW2 PMD-6-PMD-6F wood box mines.

Does someone know the types of explosive or explosive mixture that were normally used in these bottles during the GPW?

I was under the impression that it was a liquid, and not a solid or powdered type explosive.

Is this correct? Did these use a liquid explosive mixture?

Thanks in advance for any information, documents pics etc.

Attachments

• PA110009.jpg
    PA110009.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 45
  • PA110011.jpg
    PA110011.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 41
  • PA110012.jpg
    PA110012.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 40
I don't find my correct manual just now to confirm it, but I believe the filling was in powder form, something sensitive to moisture ( Chlorate or similar ) and therefore packed hermetically.

I don't find my correct manual just now to confirm it, but I believe the filling was in powder form, something sensitive to moisture ( Chlorate or similar ) and therefore packed hermetically.

Hi Reino, thank you. How are you doing? I hope you are well.
Maybe you can find the manual sometime and check to see. This will be nice to know, and very much appreciated.

So...you think it was a powder then? I read somewhere it was a thick type liquid.

Here's photos of a "Stalins Perfume Bottle" glass bottle charge for the Soviet WW2 PMD-6-PMD-6F wood box mines.

Does someone know the types of explosive or explosive mixture that were normally used in these bottles during the GPW?

These mines are fitted out bulk explosives based on ammonium nitrate or TNT as a nut.
Look here is the link (though it is in Russian) - http://www.saper.etel.ru/mines-3/pmd-6f.html

These mines are fitted out bulk explosives based on ammonium nitrate or TNT as a nut.
Look here is the link (though it is in Russian) - http://www.saper.etel.ru/mines-3/pmd-6f.html

Hello Ivashkin, thanks for showing this website link. OK, so it was a powdered form explosive.
Interesting. What Reino - Tmine35 had mentioned when he said "therefore packed Hermetically" is correct. I have translated the webpage, and it says that these bottles were made because when they were sealed properly, the bottles could keep the cheaper and easier to make ammonium type explosives good for up to one year, without losing their explosive powers by keeping the explosives from absorbing moisture, which would make them ineffective. A smart idea.

>>>"This (glass bottle charge) variant appeared in the mines during the war, when the shortage of cotton and nitric acid are having difficulty with the manufacture of TNT. Required the use of cheaper and nedefitsitnye ammiachnoselitrennye explosives or different surrogate explossives. However, they all have the property to absorb moisture and lose their explosive properties, in addition, they are significantly influenced by adverse environmental impact. The yield was found in a glass vial. Although ammiachnoselitrennye BB possess the caking and clumping, which they also lose the ability to explode, but in a bottle they kept their fighting capacity to a year, which is quite meets the needs of wartime."

Last edited: