What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was the need in 1939 for a rimmed 7.92mm German rifle cartridge???

Kilroy

A friend of mine sent me a picture of a 20rd. box of German 7.92mm cartridges, with a label so close to the label on boxes of German Mauser rifle ammo i was inclined to think I had sent him a box of these 1939 cartridges. it was only when I saw them that I realized they were not sent to him by me. The labels were indeed close, but the cartridges he had packed in the box were RIMMED cartridges!! I thought it absolutely impossible. The thought of the German excellence in firearms innovation would lead me to believe that they were just not still making ammunition for a type of rifle that for their uses would have gone extinct long ago, if ever they did make rifles designed for rimmed cases.

Does anybody know the history of the rimmed cases as i show here? They were shiny new in the year before the Germans crossed into Poland, so someone needed them. Even if they were for historical rifles used in ceremonial rituals, there would he no need for live loads, just blanks would do for a nice loud "*BANG*" and possibly a mad dash by kids to maybe collect the cases after the ceremony was concluded, as we did a mad dash for them here at the VFW in my town when I was a boy.

German 8mm_rimmed_1938.jpegGerman 8mm_rimmed_1938a.jpeg

Those are 8x56R cartridges for Austrian (Austro-Hungarian) rifles and they are very common ones. And they are not 7.92 mm but 8 mm. There are a lot more German build cartridges for foreign weapons.

A wide field for many collectors ;)

Last edited: