What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When did the M34 WP grenade first enter US service?

A page from the Office of the Chief of Ordnance Dec 1944 pocket guide to developments. Not particularly informative but might be of interest.

Attachments

• M19WP.jpg
    M19WP.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 37
The ones that were used in Vietnam by the Marines, during the early part of the War, during their "Guarding Air Force Bases" initial deployment. Then after about of a year they were allowed to go out and patrol with their M-14's and grenades with gear dating back to the Korean War. The U.S. Amy initial deployment had all soldiers carrying M-14's too, though I have not seen any pictures or movies, and books that contain info as to the fact that the Army carried the M19A1 also. Although FM 23-30 (1969) shows that it, the M19A1 is being phase out and is being replaced by the M34 through attrition of the M19A1.+

This model had the following data:

1) Type is a White Phosphorous, Smoke, Rifle Grenade
2) Color of smoke released is White
3) Weight is 1.5 pounds
4) Charge is 8.5 ounces of WP
and...
Dimensions are the following:
5) Length is 11.31"
6) Body diameter is 2"
7) Body is made out of steel
8) Fuze is a Mechanical Impact detonator

+This is from a "Leatherneck" magazine in the the mid 1960's. Also, this is from my former Lt. Mahoney who was my Lt. while we both served on the Sheriff's Office.

I found a reference in a report "Summary of Major Events and Problems" United States Army Chemical Corps, for Fiscal year 1959. The report is dated January 1960 that states "CCTC item 3553, Classification of Grenade, Hand and Rifle, Smoke, WP, M34 (E16R2) as a Standard A Type and Reclassification of the M15 Grenade as a Standard C type, 30 April 1959.

So, it appears that the M34 was adopted in April of 1959.

Don't know the dates either started or stopped, but I can tell you with fact that they were both still in Vietnam in 69 thru 71. I had at least 3 M-15's, they were in OK condition but the fuze spoons broke off so those greandes were turned in. As for the M 34 carried a them, but normally only 1 maybe 2 at a time (they were too heavy). Threw the 34 twice, not something I would recommend unless you have an arm like P Manning. On the last one I threw had WP raining down around us. But they did make an impression on the NVA. The M 15 was still listed in the TM 43 sersis on grenades in 1977. The rifle grenade was the M-19 rifle grebde, left service in the early 60's. The M 34 was also used in the M 176 smoke launcher that was mounted on the turrets of Sheridan Tanks, it launched a M34 and a M8 smoke grenade out about 25 meters to provide screening smoke, was great too for counter ambush.

Also the M15 was also known as the BLU 17.

Just a note, when looking up E numbers that deal with anything chemical (to include CS and WP) you will find the same numbers used over and over again, example on E # I was reseaching lead me to 3 different chemical greandes, more chemical bomblets then I can remember and same for dispensers.