What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is ammo legal?

F0031

I realise there have been several threads concerning legal issues, but I have here a specific question.

I have seen German WW2 aircraft rounds for sale at various fairs but avoided buying them for the reason that I cannot inspect them completely. Yes, the fuze unscrews, so I can see the projectile and the fuze are empty. Yes, the thing rattles, so there's no propellant in the case. BUT the projectile is firmly fixed to the case, so I cannot inspect the tail of the projectile for tracer compound, nor can I inspect the primer. Are these things OK to buy for safety and legally (without a firearms certificate)? It would be nice to have views from the Police and Army as well as dealers, if possible.

Thanks.

Tony.

Possession of an empty projectile with a live tracer would not be subject to restriction or prohibition under the Firearms Act - quote here from HO Guidance document -
Tracer bullets,
which contain a chemical flaring compound
designed so that the flight of the bullet can​
be seen, are not prohibited.

A live primer may or may not be subject to legal control. Sorry to be vague but there are numerous UN (United Nations) classification listings for primers. Generally they would fall outside of any certification requirements and also it must be remembered that a primer from a WW2 era round will never have been subject to post war UN classification.

I realise there have been several threads concerning legal issues, but I have here a specific question.

I have seen German WW2 aircraft rounds for sale at various fairs but avoided buying them for the reason that I cannot inspect them completely. Yes, the fuze unscrews, so I can see the projectile and the fuze are empty. Yes, the thing rattles, so there's no propellant in the case. BUT the projectile is firmly fixed to the case, so I cannot inspect the tail of the projectile for tracer compound, nor can I inspect the primer. Are these things OK to buy for safety and legally (without a firearms certificate)? It would be nice to have views from the Police and Army as well as dealers, if possible.

Thanks.

Tony.

Tony
You have answered your own question really,and have done the right thing in avoiding anything that could be hazardous.
It just isnt worth bothering with.
Trust your instincts and if your not 100% confident on the saftey aspects,then just walk away.
After all,tommorow is another day,and you will still have your health.

Many would say there isnt a problem with tracer compounds,but i just wouldnt want such chemicals in my house...legal or not.
I'd rather be 100% safe,and know for sure I'm acting in a legal fashion and not risking someone elses safety.
90% isnt good enough for me,I wouldnt want these things in my house that might worsen a house fire..
That just me.

Regards

WW2 era tracers would likely be oxidised if they have been exposed to moisture, which would mean they would not function.

Are tracer compounds not also similar to chemicals found in legally available garden fireworks?

Thanks.

Tony.

I suppose if you're really worried just stick to collecting shell cases without primers in them, all you have then is a metal tube that nobody can argue with. Its also a cheap way of collecting unless you go for the exotic cases.
Another thing to consider is collecting drill rounds, no problems there, just be careful you don't mistakenly pick up a sub calibre round like the 2 pounders that have a small barrel up the middle of them, in some instances these require a FAC.
Dave.

Some tracers may contain metallic salts such as nitrates of strontium to give a red burn. These compounds do degrade with exposure to moisture. Handling the residue should be avoided unless wearing protective gloves and a face mask. Similar compounds are found in commercial/military pyrotechnics and as falcon says also in fireworks.
I think Foubars response is correct - if in doubt - dont buy it!