What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which metal detector for beginner?

charlie1

Hi guys/girls,

Im looking at buying my wife a metal detector for Xmas as she has always showed a keen interest in watching people in our local fields, and loves programmes like time team, and she has asked a few times!
Ive been looking at the Garrett ACE 250, only because it is the most searched detector on the web and ebay, surely it must be a popular detector!

I would also use the detector. Yes, we are both 100% novices but I dont want to have to buy a better one in a few months/year as weve 'outgrown' our first one.

Which one would you recommend for us?
Ideally one with easy set up (possibly even preset sensitivities which can be customised as we progress), Id prefer digital rather than a sweeping needle as a guage if there is such a thing!!

Cheers guys!

Sorry WF, thats why it was posted in 'Off Topic' and it seems there are lots of people on the forum use them.

I think that is a fair question that does not violate any rules.
However, I don't have an answer for you. Perhaps wife will search for lost coins.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Charlie1, The company I work for uses the White's XLT and the MXT for UXO remediation when an all metals machine is required. The XLT is a far too complicated machine with computer filtering, a large range of programs and is basically junk for what we do. The new "improved" MXT is a much better machine for our UXO needs since it went back to hand adjusted rheostats for filtering (yes, analog still lives). The Garrett is a good machine,also, from what I've heard, and for those who can afford it, the Vallon is great. Cheers, Bruce.

Hi Charlie,
Sounds a good question to me! I was looking at buying one a few years back and although never got around to it found that looking at a few related forums there was only one or two that kept getting mentioned as must haves. I am sure that the case is still the same. The ones that i was looking at could even block a particular metal if desired and tell you the size of the target and how deep it is !!!!!! Godd luck and happy hunting.
Charlie