What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Minenwerfer is this?

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Can someone tell me which model of Minenwerfer this is?

I know it's a 7.6cm, but which one?

It doesn't have a fuze, just a ballistic cap which screws into the body

It measures 220mm from the base to the threads.

P6127932.JPG

P6127933.jpg

P6127934.jpg

P6127935.jpg

is the red original ?

Red means practice, this is an unusual version, but it is not beyond possibilities that this could be fired on a range and recharged ( I imagine fired at one of the lower charges) and reused over and over again. Practice or drill is my call. I have never seen this before. It is likely the same body as an HE, just the fuze/dummy fusing and colour would be different. I know it's not 37mm, but I used to have these and it's interesting to see something new in this line. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

fuze

The practice rounds i've seen mostly used a faux fuze, I would guess for the effect of realism which is why I guessed message round. One thing is for sure it is one or the other..Dano

The colour isn't as it should be.
I was told it was a practice version, but wanted
to see what people here thought!

What ever it is, I like it a lot. Looks so much better that the relic one I
found near Verdun many years ago. Is the base still removable? Just curious.

Regards, Jan

The base should unscrew as they would

have to to reload this. The charges are adjustable so for short range practice the lowest charge would be used. Are the walls thicker than normal to make it weigh the same as an HE, if you don't have a comparison some body will. Or the only difference is the solid nose. There is also a wooden Drill type.

Thought as much but was wondering whether 'peteblight's' sample had a base that was still removable after alll these years.

Regards, Jan

How is the body constructed

The HE is a one piece thing, the message shell separates so is made of several sections. A message shell with a solid nose wouldn't work, it would just bury itself in the ground and never be found.

Don't let the paint fool you

The red paint on German shells in WW1 not only signified a practice round, but also any round that would not explode. For example the message carrying round and the signal round for the Granatenwerfer was painted red. Anyway we seem to have a thread with different opinions which makes it all the more interesting to me. I am here to learn and I am all ears....Dano

Yep, but these red paintings were only for mortar rounds, not for shells. Their color scheme was completely different. Here mostly "Ersatz" shells like the Haubitzgranate 14 were painted red.

More photos

Jack,

I'll speak with the person who has it and get them to mail me some more pictures.

Pete

Hi
This 7.6 Minen is plenty of sand and a piece od paper on to under the screwing top
It's used as training
All type of minen were modified with different top for this used

Here's some more pictures and measurements on this Minenwerfer.

Internally it's 180mm deep and the threads are 10mm in depth.

P6147947.jpg - Inside the cap

P6147950.jpg - As above

P6147956.jpg - View inside the body

P6147962.JPG - Threads