What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who can school me on US 4.5 inch rockets / 115 mm since WWII

D

Dragontooth

Guys,

cant find anything really on google. I'd like to know what types there were for Army, Navy and Air Force and USMC of course.
4.5 inches or 115 mm.

sorry im still learning...:angel:

maybe it would also be good to discuess US 115 mm rockets of WWII in another thread.

best regards,
Dragon

Dragon try these manuals, they should be in the net somewhere:

OS 9-69_Rockets and Launchers all Types_1944

TM 9-392_4.5in Multiple Rocket Launchers T66 And T66E2_1945

TM 9-392A_4.5in Multiple Rocket Launcher T123_1951

TM 9-394_4.5in Rocket Materiel for Ground Use_1945

TM 9-395_4.5in Aircraft Rocket Materiel_1944

During WWII the US fielded three basic designs of 4.5" rocket. - fin stabilized, spin stabilized and beach barrage. Following the war the spin version carried over to Korea, with mixed success. A significant amount of testing continued through the 1960s in an effort to improve accuracy and warhead design, but the 4.5 design pretty much died there. The 115mm CW rocket was a completely different design and had nothing to do with any of the 4.5s. It was only fielded in three versions, dummy, practice and live fill.

Shown below are the 4.5" fin stabilized, the spin stabilized, Beach Barrage HE and Beach Barrage smoke.

DSC_0206.jpg DSC_0205.jpg DSC_0207.jpg DSC_0208.jpg

outstanding. that being said now i am disappointed becuase i thought i had learned about the 115 mm CW rocket but see that they are totally unrelated.

anybody who knows about development and manufacture of the 115 mm CW please PM me.