What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did someone have to cut this down?

Falcon

I found this at the car boot sale on Saturday.

It just makes you wonder "why oh why did they do it???". I have never seen an 18 Pounder case this late.

1941_18pr_hs.jpg1941_18pr_side.jpg

This was almost completely black with corrosion when I got it. As it is ruined already I thought I may as well attack it with sandpaper. There was also a ring fitted where the primer was. This had been snapped off so I drilled it out to removed the stub.

Last edited:
I found this at the car boot sale on Saturday.

It just makes you wonder "why oh why did they do it???". I have never seen an 18 Pounder case this late. .

In the unlikely event that you are not aware be advised that 18 Pr cases were cut down 'officially' to produce a QF Separate round (allowing the selection of charge bags). This work was done in the 1930s I think but the case trimming was fairly moderate.

Hi Falcon,never seen a land service issue case made by ICI either. only naval items from 3pdr through to 5.25". Sounds like your local car boot is a gem! Cheers Tig.

Last edited by a moderator: