What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 10pdr

merlin_industries

WW1 10pdr ( aka Mountain Gun ) with a late model TT fuze.

I'm assuming this was used in the opening phase of WW1 maybe by the BEF ? I read that it had a very short service life, being replaced by the 13pdr and 18pdr early on in the war.

If there is any more info on this I would be interested to hear about it.

DSCF5667.jpg

WW1 10pdr ( aka Mountain Gun ) with a late model TT fuze.

I'm assuming this was used in the opening phase of WW1 maybe by the BEF ? I read that it had a very short service life, being replaced by the 13pdr and 18pdr early on in the war.

If there is any more info on this I would be interested to hear about it.

View attachment 73855

The length suggests to me that it is a 'double shell'. I am not sure if these were made for the 10-Pr but they were certainly made for the 2.95 Mountain Gun, which largely replaced the 10-Pr. Attached is a base fuzed double shell drawing for the 2.95. I thought the 10-Pr and 2.95 used GS gauge tapered thread fuzes at the sharp end.

View attachment Double Shell295.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone with help on this one. It is definitly the 2.75 inch BL Shrapnel MK1 . The give away clue is the base plug with two holes for the tool fitting.

This one came from a European collector, would it be reasonable to assume it was used exclusively by the Indian units sent over to the western front ?

Merlin, the 2.75 inch gun was also used by British units - notably the 4th (Highland) Mountain Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery - at the outbreak of war the only British mountain artillery unit, and the only Territorial one. They got their 2.75 inch guns after Gallipoli and served with them in Salonika. I haven't seen any evidence of the 2.75 gun in Gallipoli or the western front

Hi
I've found two bodies relic of 2.75 in Shrapnel shell in ww1 front line in Nord Pas de Calais (France)

Hi
Here my two relics of 2.75 in schr shell
Difficult to find the socket fuze for because it's an particulary design and seem not used a lot just at the begining of the war in 1915 buy British troups in Pas de Calais
I've found them in the same village near an area where british old shell where used (10Pr, 4.7in, 4 in, 5 in,for example)
002.jpg001.jpg