What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 37mm Knowledge required !!

So a few side by side images would help clear this up and does any one know where a surviving Maxim is ?

If you mean the light Mk III / V firing 37 x 69R ammo, I don't know of any survivors. I used to visit the old MoD Pattern Room (now relocated to Leeds) where they had some interesting kit including a Vickers 1 inch aircraft gun from WW1, a 37mm COW gun, and a 40mm Vickers Crayford, but I didn't see a light Maxim there.

"Gspragge" - You have made a great observation regarding the 'blunted' projectiles. See attached photo which clearly shows that the tips have been filed/ground and have many facets rather than an evenly machined point. This is yet further evidence that there was much tinkering with existing components in order to cobble together a solution to arming those 'new-fangled aeroplane thingies'. (I had already noticed the ground noses on these rounds but didn't attach the relevant significance to it due to my inferior knowledge !!... I think you've cracked it.
Any ideas as to whether they were for French or British planes?? - I think that's the only unsolved aspect now !!

Attachments

• FSCN9798.jpg
    FSCN9798.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 33
Here is the difference between an unmodified Mle 1892 and typical short 1pr with 131 fuze. It's not much
but enough to cause a jam or feed issue. I get 70mm from the bottom of the band to tip on the M92
and 67mm on the short 1pr. How long are your projectiles in this respect. I think the modified projectiles
were for the MKlll Maxim, and there may have been a French trial or at least French projectiles were
obtained as perhaps more easily modified than British 1pr types. Who used or tried what could remain a mystery.
The unmodified length projectiles are perhaps for French use, though there is no reason they couldn't have been tried out in
a regular 1pr Maxim. Questions Questions ! Without actual reports on the trials and so on we may never know.
It is worth noting that the Phosphorus shortened 1pr for the MKlll Maxim was also a regular AP pointed projectile
that has been ground down like these (there is a thread on those somewhere on site).
We are calling these incendiary projectiles, but maybe the intent was for a viable tracer like the Germans had
in service ?

Attachments

• IMG_0001 8.jpg
    IMG_0001 8.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
The blunt rounds are 67mm and 66mm - the variation again pointing to post-production tinkering.
I'm open to the tracer possibility (rather than incendiary) though the tracer would only really be useful in a belt/clip to allow continuous fire, but that applies to the Mark III anyway.

We are calling these incendiary projectiles, but maybe the intent was for a viable tracer like the Germans had
in service ?

In the WW1 era incendiaries were made which burned throughout their flight, and therefore did dual duty as incendiary/tracers. For example, the .303 Incendiary B Mk IV, which was still in service in WW2, was based on the Buckingham of WW1. This was regarded as a "day tracer" as it left a smoke trail.

The primary purpose for the large-calibre incendiaries in WW1 was to engage airships and artillery-spotter balloons. It was better to have them burn throughout their flight to provide the maximum opportunity for the flame to set light to gas outside the envelope.

Two functions are always going to be better than one, so incendiary & tracer makes perfect sense. Makes you wonder whether these rounds would have been interspersed with the flat-headed No131 fuse rounds / or vice-versa...or whether they were considered a good enough 'stand alone' round for dealing with Zeppelins etc. It sounds as though they probably didn't get much opportunity to experiment with them before they were withdrawn.