What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 American contract projectiles in Canada and what can be cosidered complete or not ~

Gspragge

Premium Member
Today I picked up a contract 3" AA projectile body with no adaptor. It has somewhat suffered the fate of polishing and so on,
but some remaining marks are present. I show it with the other two (4.7" & 75mm with plug instead of adaptor and fuze).
Judging by the images of the 4.7" types in the shiping rooms which have no fuze adaptor and just a wood
transfer plug and unpainted I think that this is the general state of these HE type projectiles when they left Canada.
The adapters could well have been made for them here. (One or two of the 77mm types have been found with them. Perhaps added
by some one at the time of the cancelling of orders from what was on hand in the shop. Though one has to add that this adaptor was in use into ww2)
But if so they were shipped separately for installing later after filling etc. So for a collection in Canada I would in this context call
any of these complete with just the wood plug. They never saw paint, adaptors,fuzes, cases and fillings in Canada, it's how they left. These plugs are impossible to find of course so I'm going to look into having a couple made up. If successful I'l post the results. Of course to a collector in the U.S. where these were assembled and finished having just a body and
wood plug would never do and quite understandably.

Attachments

• P1010024.jpg
    P1010024.jpg
    718.5 KB · Views: 13