What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 British 4" Mortar Shell

Tranter

Hello All,

I've just acquired a really nice WW1 HE 4" mortar shell, complete with its transit plug. To complement it I would like to find the correct fuze, but after searching everywhere I've drawn a blank. I'm guessing it would have used a direct impact percussion fuze rather than a graze action due to the high angle of descent. There's an example of this shell on the IWM site that states that the one they have is the only one left in existence and the photo shows a time and percussion fuze fitted which in my view is incorrect. The photo on the IWM site is fairly low resolution, so I can't tell what type it is. Can anyone help with info relating to what the correct fuze should be? Any ideas/information gratefully received!
Thanks, Steve

Pete, Haven't got one to hand, but will take one over the next day or so & upload it.

Cheers

Steve

As promised, some pics of the 4" RML Mortar shell

DSCN0403[1].jpgDSCN0404[1].jpgDSCN0406[1].jpg

I've discovered since my last post that MJL have one up for sale (in nothing like as good condition), so the IWM's statement that theirs was probably the only one in existence is not quite correct. I think they are an ultra scarce item though. By the way, my 106 fuze fits perfectly and is a direct action fuze, so I'm wondering whether this fuze would be correct. I'm sure most of the 100 series fuzes would fit as well, but they are all graze fuzes that wouldn't be necessary due to the angle of descent as mentioned in my earlier post. The third photo clearly shows one of the studs that engage in the rifling - shades of Whitworth!

Cheers

Steve

31mk3.jpg31 MkI B or C.jpg

The fuze is a No. 31, which was a converted No. 80. Drg and picture attached. Depotman

A big thankyou to all the guys who have contributed to this thread. I've got loads more info now and it's brilliant to be able to get so much gen in such a short space of time!
Cheers Guys

Steve