What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Cartridge Case info req`d

Deckape

Afternoon Guys

Oh dear. After looking at all the questions currently listed i feel pretty dull asking this but i don`t know so here goes ! This case was found this year on the Somme, i know its a Kings Norton made in 1916 type VII case but why is it recessed as opposed to the normal style primer ? Is it a different load in the round ? Look forward to the answer, thanks guys.DSCF4333.jpg

Two possibilities. Either it is a Drill Mark III (picture attached) and the wood bullet has rotted away (which is most likely) or it was a live round which has ignited in a fire and blown out the primer. I cannot see in the picture, but does the case have any holes in it?

All British .303 inch cases look like that when the cap (pimer) is removed.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• DIII.jpg
    DIII.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 22
Two possibilities. Either it is a Drill Mark III (picture attached) and the wood bullet has rotted away (which is most likely) or it was a live round which has ignited in a fire and blown out the primer. I cannot see in the picture, but does the case have any holes in it?

All British .303 inch cases look like that when the cap (pimer) is removed.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks for answering so quickly Tony. It is only a fragment of case about an inch long so i can`t tell if the case ever had a hole. Is it possible a drill round would be on a battlefield ? I didn`t realise that they looked like that once the primer was removed, always learning. Look forward to hearing your response, thanks again.

Yes, it is possible that a drill round would be in a battle area as weapons still needed to be checked for correct functioning etc.

As you only have a remnant of the case we can never be sure what it was originally. However, if the remnant is about an inch long and there is no evidence of any holes in the case it does lean towards it having originally been a live ball round. The lower set of holes in Mark III drill rounds are normally only about 20 mm above the rim.

Regards
TonyE

Yes, it is possible that a drill round would be in a battle area as weapons still needed to be checked for correct functioning etc.

As you only have a remnant of the case we can never be sure what it was originally. However, if the remnant is about an inch long and there is no evidence of any holes in the case it does lean towards it having originally been a live ball round. The lower set of holes in Mark III drill rounds are normally only about 20 mm above the rim.

Regards
TonyE

Hi Tony

Thanks again for the info, another pic attached. As you can see no evidence of holes in the case so I guess as you say it was a live ball round.
Many thanks for your help.DSCF4334.jpg
Cheers
Nigel