What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Dunkirk Grenades

millsbomber

Premium Member
Iv been reading past threads and found a bit about the Dunkirk grenades produced by the french about 1915, against Mr Mills patents.
heres some pictures of my examples in the collection, how many more are out there.
The main differences are cast brass centre tube, no markings on the base plug and single point striker slotted all the way up for gas release.

Attachments

• dunkirk.jpg
    dunkirk.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 65
  • HPIM5289.jpg
    HPIM5289.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 71
  • HPIM5290.jpg
    HPIM5290.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 82
  • HPIM5291.jpg
    HPIM5291.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 62
Nice piccys Dave,

i have a couple of the same type of brass base plug, wasnt sure from what gren they came from.

Also, did they use a different type of detonator? I say this as the usual type was fired as you know by a .22 rimfire which might not go off if hit by a striker with a centre point. Didnt know it they made a centre fire round as small as a .22. Been thinking about this for a while now.

Andy

Great pics Dave,

i understand that the first dets had a sealed .22 rimfire cartridge, not the later type with the papered hole. Maybe the single pointed striker worked ok with a det like this. I would think there would have been many blinds if used with the later type.

Andy

Nice piccys Dave,

i have a couple of the same type of brass base plug, wasnt sure from what gren they came from.

Andy

Andy

I've seen a similar plug (in alloy) that was produced for post WW1 souvenir grenades used as ashtrays.

Nice Grenades Dave - green with envy!

John

I think mine are the real mccoy John as they have rust on them from gren bodies, the ones i showed you when we last had lunch. I can see the type being used on souvenir grens, especially if they had to make them. Could have been old unused stock but we will never know.

Andy

Yes Andy I think they would have been easy to make but I agree yours did look the real thing. Shame you didn't get the rest of the grens!

John