What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Experimental Flechette Or ??????

apfsds

Premium Member
I purchased this spontaneously in the last minute of an auction that I stumbled upon with no time to do any research on it first. It was being sold as a rare WW1 Experimental flechette but I am not convinced that what it is? It came from the estate of a WW1 artifact collector with no provenance. Maybe one of the experts here will have an idea. Once suggestion was that was used by sailors to make nets or a weaving tool. It is heavy, very sharp, appears to be super old and is well built.

Jason

IMG_8939.JPGIMG_8940.JPGIMG_8941.JPGIMG_8942.JPGIMG_8943.JPGIMG_8944.JPG

The tail looks like the tapered fitting used on old fashioned drill bits. I wonder if it might be a tapered reamer.
Fred
auger.jpg

That's never a Flechett! Too big and too heavy. I suspect a tool at the end is missing maybe a wooden handle.IMG_8941.JPG

Thank you all so much! Some great ideas! I also d not think it is fklechette related and think the tool ideas are most probable. Grateful for everyones insight.

Jason

If the tool point was pushed into something soft and rotated it would leave a cone shaped hole,it is similar to the tool used for taking samples to check the maturity of cheese,just a guess really,
Don,