What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 German 15cm Shrapnel shell...

starshell

Premium Member
Hello,

I have a 15cm shrapnel shell with the stamping 56 HK 16 on the base. With the HK stamp (It looks to be a 'K'), the letters are joined together, similar to Heckler & Koch's trademark of today (although I'm not saying this shell was produced by H&K!....)

I suspect the HK is possibly the manufacturer, if so would anyone here know who?
Many thanks in advance!

A picture would be of help as there are several HK stamps. Any other stamps like acceptance stamps visible?

IMG_5801.jpgIMG_5800.jpgIMG_5799.jpg

Hi Alpini,

Attached are images of the base and stamps.
These are the only stamps on the entire shell, all the others having been lost to the elements.
There does appear to be the trace of an 'E' below the HK stamp although very feint.
Hope this helps in some way.
Many thanks!

Hello,

it's the "Maschinenfabrik Hugo Koch" in Leipzig-Connewitz. It was a fairly small factory wich produced machines for book printing industry in peacetime. The stamp below could be a "M" which was assigned twice. It could be either the Fr. Krupp Grusonwerk in Magdeburg or "M.G. Mügge & CO." in Leipzig. As my lists are not always correct I would guess more it's the last one because it's in Leipzig too and the Grusonwerk is known for the stamp "Gwk" too. Normally your shell should have had "AWDr" acceptance stamps.

Thank you so much Alpini,
Your knowledge is pretty impressive and its great to have a little background history to these pieces.
Much appreciated!