What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 German 77mm Shrapnel projectile

Vasco Da Gama

I have been struggling to complete the restoration of the pictured 77mm shrapnel shell. It is worth the effort as it is in good condition, pictured is the base stampings for acceptance that don't often survive. However, my references talk about an early pattern of shell, 96 pattern F Schr.96 with a small adapter ring, fitted to the Dopp Z 96 shown alongside. This is too small to fit. The later pattern F Schr 96 (umg) had a screwed head, also shown alongside, this is too big! The body of the projectile is 249mm long, can anybody help a confused collector?

Additional pictures as requested, convinced it is a shrapnel due to thin side-walls and pocket at the base of the projectile. Good game trying to hold the shell and camera to get a picture of the inside! Last picture with fuze fitted to show the difference in diameter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Hello,

Could you show the top of the shell (thread and inside body), thank you.
Are you sure it's a shrapnel shell ?

Regards

it's normal that the top of the '96 shrapnell cases is widened when they already did work. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Ok, shrapnel shell.
Now use a hammer to reduce the diameter of the head !
Regards

Thanks to both of you for your help, always wary of forcing or modifying items that have survived a hundred years. I can see that after the shell has functioned the internal forces would widen the case mouth as the metal is relatively thin. I will add a thin section/strip of modelling clay to close the gap, this can always be removed later so not spoiling the condition of the item. Once again thanks for your support.