What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ww1 German case ID

Falcon

I saw a case at the car boot sale this morning but didn't buy it as I was unsure what it was. Unfortunately I don't have a photo.

Measurements were:

Calibre: Just over 75mm

Case length: 117.5mm

Rim diameter: 88mm

The headstamp was: R.h.M.F. 1916 DUSSELDORF, with what looked like a small Arabic character marking. Possibly a Turkish connection?

Has this case been cut or is it a proper example?

Thanks for any info.

The size 77x118R87 sounds right and should be a 7,7 cm navy or fortress gun.....WW1 is not my field, but this sounds rare!

I have a similar case, headstamp "Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe 1916 835". Primer marked "Friedr. Krupp AG" . Have also tried to get it identified but no luck. The case definitely is in original length. It has slight bottleneck about 1/3 of height.

I have also a similar case from 1915 and I was told it was for a 7,7 cm Kasematt-Kanone (fortress gun as Hoeksel already mentioned) as used in the fortresses around Metz.
But that's all i have so more information is always welcome...

Kind regards Arjen

Looks like it's fingers crossed that the guy still has it next Saturday, then, falcon
R.

Last edited by a moderator:
oops, just read now that you do not own the case, so no chance for a photo. If it was slightly bottlenecked, and had a Krupp type (like german C/12) primer it is for Krupp 7,5 cm L/14 mountain guns and "copied" Rheinmetall Mountain guns. These cases are not that rare but I haven't seen one with arabic markings. It could be a british soldiers souvenir from the Gallipoli front line. Turkey and also Bulgaria had such guns from Krupp in service. After german/austrian occupation of Serbia in WW1, many ammunition and guns were delivered from Germany and Austria via the Danube and railway to Turkey. Most of the turkish artillery was delivered from Krupp, Rheinmetall and Skoda during and before war. In beginning of the war some of the Krupp guns and ammunition were not delivered and "confiscated" by the german army because at this time germany had no mountain guns in service. These guns were used in the french Vosges mountains, in the Argonne wood area and near Verdun, may be also some other areas with difficult terrain.

I wonder which source tells that there was a special case for 7,7 cm guns in turret. There was only a special ~40 mm long case for 15 cm turret howitzers and one very rare for 21 cm howitzers in turret.

The case in my collection has also 87 mm rim diameter and is produced in the austrian "Metallwaarenfabrik Berndorf" (subsidary of Krupp). Others I have seen from the Patronenfarik Karlsruhe. But all had export headstamps, not one with german acceptance stamp.

Last edited:
This case did have a primer like the C/12, and no German acceptance stamps. The primer was marked "R.M.F.". I'm not sure whether it was bottlenecked or not.

I was away last week so didn't get to the car boot sale, but I did get someone to pick the case up for me. Once I have it here I will post some photos.

Hello Moltke
So you have a 211x76R case if i have correctly understood...?
What is the rim diameter of the case, please?
And the designation of the howitzer?
Thanks very much...Charley

Hello Moltke,

nice to see. Are there any headstamps visible and can you post a picture from inside the case? Does it have the same brass-cross inside like in the 15 cm T.H. case?

The name of the gun should be "21-cm Turmhaubitze mit Stahlseele", sorry don't have any further informations available.

I have the case in my posession now. Here are some photos. The marking that may or may not be a very small Arabic marking is at 9:00. The case has obviously been polished alot, so half of the word "DUSSELDORF" is missing.
75x117R_case.JPG
75x117R_hs.JPG