What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ww1 german mine? for sale

does anyone know what type of mine this is?i cant find any info on it
maybe its a net float?harbour defense etc

yes ive seen the photos but i cannot find any type of mine that looks like this
also there are no fittings for the contact horns

yes ive seen the photos but i cannot find any type of mine that looks like this
also there are no fittings for the contact horns

Hi Kiwi
I know you have seen the photos but i added them in case the now closed sale gets deleted and becomes a dead link making it so others cannot see the item in question

yes good idea,i have found a couple of photos of similar mines but they have alot less rivets
i will keep researching to see what i can find

heres the picture,the link above didnt work

Attachments

• vintage-photogrtaph-of-british-army-royal-engineers-using-sea-mines-victorian-military-weapons-1.jpg
    vintage-photogrtaph-of-british-army-royal-engineers-using-sea-mines-victorian-military-weapons-1.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 48
Pretty sure there was a line of these in the entrance to Wellington Harbour back in the day, maybe to keep the impending Russian invasion out (yes, it was a real perceived threat in NZ in the late 1800s). There was an mine station just along the shore from Fort Ballance.

Pretty sure there was a line of these in the entrance to Wellington Harbour back in the day, maybe to keep the impending Russian invasion out (yes, it was a real perceived threat in NZ in the late 1800s). There was an mine station just along the shore from Fort Ballance.

Is there any more historical background to this?

It would have been a logistical nightmare in the late 1800s.

Apologies if my post wasn't very clear. I meant the background to the perceived threat of a Russian invasion of New Zealand.

thanks kahu,a great report that confirms that we had these mines here.i also read a similar report for the auckland area,they built all the infrastructure for submarine mining but never received any mines for some reason

Similar to recent events maybe,complete with fake news?.

RUSSIANINV.Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like this is a positive ID, 100lb Electro-contact mine.

The below image was from the Wellington location, surveys have the remains of some of the cables still intact on the seabed.

Image from ' Defending New Zealand, Ramparts on the sea 1840-1950's ' ,author Peter Cooke.

MINE WLGTN..jpg

Cheers
Bob