What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 German stick grenade paint

I would be quasi appreciative if someone could post a picture of a m1915 and m1917 German stick grenade with original paint. Have seen some color variations and am curious just to what the original field-gray paint looks like. Also looking for a relic m1917 German stick can that I could restore. Mondo thanks.....Dano

I would be quasi appreciative if someone could post a picture of a m1915 and m1917 German stick grenade with original paint. Have seen some color variations and am curious just to what the original field-gray paint looks like. Also looking for a relic m1917 German stick can that I could restore. Mondo thanks.....Dano

what condition is your stick?

Hi Foubar, I have 2, a m1915 stick with ball finial on stick (wooden stick is repro) and a m1917 stick. Both heads were painted olive drab by me and am looking to make the color more realistic. I have pictured the sticks before the coat of olive drab on grenade heads. Best......Dano

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 33
Hi Foubar, I have 2, a m1915 stick with ball finial on stick (wooden stick is repro) and a m1917 stick. Both heads were painted olive drab by me and am looking to make the color more realistic. I have pictured the sticks before the coat of olive drab on grenade heads. Best......Dano
have you tried weathering them with paint or gently rubbing down with very fine abrasive paper?

You can change the colour drastically without actually changing the paint you have put on in the first place.
Try watering down some of your paints and apply the watery paint.Let dry and gradually continue untill the desired colour is found.
Try warted down brown earth paint.
It will run into all the surfaces and act like grime.
experiment!

Of great use is model makers tamiya 'weathering kits.
They have such colours as rust,dust and dirt.
They are a semi solid compound that acts like a womens makeup compact.
can be used with a brush or sponge and sealed with a fine spray of MATT varnish spray.
There used by professional military model makers.

Attachments

• tam.jpg
    tam.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
I like your style Foubar. One other thing I like to do is use a black wash after all painting and sanding (aging) is complete. The wash is highly watered down black paint and you daub it on with a bigger brush, then wipe it down as though staining...Dano

I like your style Foubar. One other thing I like to do is use a black wash after all painting and sanding (aging) is complete. The wash is highly watered down black paint and you daub it on with a bigger brush, then wipe it down as though staining...Dano

that sounds good,just vary your colours till your happy.
You can always wash it off and start again.

Here are some of the acryllic paints given to me by my wife, and I have used them quite a bit. A really nice collection of paints to have. One color is a perfect match to the French moutard colonial color. Obviously you brush it on, it dries quick and is very light so totally sandable...Dano

forgot picture again

Well anyway here is a pic of about 1/2 of the art paints given to me by Mrs. Kelly. 3rd from left on top row is the slate blue that strongly resembles horizon bleu..Dano..Dano

Attachments

• Picture 434.jpg
    Picture 434.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 20
Well anyway here is a pic of about 1/2 of the art paints given to me by Mrs. Kelly. 3rd from left on top row is the slate blue that strongly resembles horizon bleu..Dano..Dano
i know the ones!
you can get then here in the uk and thery are really good quality.

Here...

... a head (95+% grey color):

Attachments

• Head.jpg
    Head.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
WWI German Stick Grenade Color

Mr Dano,
Try this. Go to your local Hobby store and buy two 1/4 oz bottles of Testors #1163 Flat Gray paint. (Small Square bottles)
Buy one 1/2 oz bottle of Model Master (round bottle with black lable) Olive Drab # FS34087

Use a small paint brush to get out all of the paint from the two bottles of Testors Gray and the one bottle of Model Master OD. Mix it up in a small container and you have the BASIC WWI German Feld Grau color. I say basic because it is sometimes lighter and sometimes darker. Paint your can in vertical strokes with a paint brush maybe 1/2" wide or so. At the same time, paint a small can like say a V8 juice can. Let dry for 4 or 5 days (patience) and then use a very thin wash of black paint in thinner to darken along cracks and seams. Try it on the V8 can first to make sure it is not going to disolve your Feld Grau. The original paint was a semi gloss, you can simulate this with Johnsons paste floor wax (available in hardware stores). It will give it a nice warm look.