What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 German Stick Grenade - Real or Fake???

Norris

Hi all. Looks like a great site and I am new to collecting so would like to pick your brains please. I bought this at a recent fair and I am hoping it's genuine. An M1916 I think. It has a crimped on lid which appears to have had 2 holes made in top ( to remove explosive?). The head may have been removed and put back on looking at join with stick ( to remove fuse??). The screw on end attachment part on stick has come off as you can see. The pull cord looks to have been replaced but how?? Any comments gratefully received. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
The wood is certainly not original.
I am very skeptical on the paint.
The thing that holds the metal strap on the grenade body looks like a nail head.
But there are experts with much more knowlege here.

Bob

From the photos, the item doesn't "feel" right. it looks like it has been reassembled from different parts.

Hi the bottom thread and cap are original so is the porcelain bead,, the stick is new,,,, as for the can and top thread.. sorry I think stage prop been aged to look old,, :(
does the can unscrew from the threaded collar ?

Kind Regards nick

Hi Nick , thanks for your reply. It doesn't screw off. I was told when I purchased it that this Great War model had a crimped on lid and doesn't screw off. Is this incorrect? It appears to be held on by 2 'rivets' and I can also see white glue if I took down the edge closely. Thanks. Alan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 31
I am sorry to say that IMHO You have been cheated.
I hope You will find a way to return this thing to the seller.
Bob

Hi all. Many thanks for all your comments and help. It's great to see. Good news that the seller has agreed to refund the item if I post it back. Couldn't have done it without you all. Thanks again. Alan