What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 No36 Mills

usa1918

Could someone tell me the differences between the WW1 and WW2 era No36 grenades (aside from the obvious differences in the base plug dates). Thanks

Keith (usa1918)

I think there's a thread on this somewhere . There's no real difference in the bodies except some WW1 ones have a date cast into them . Internally , the WW1 had either a brass or aluminium centre tube & the WW2 had zinc alloy [stamped Z] . Hope this helps.

not a lot really kieth. the body castings are pretty much the same. sometimes the date can be found on the 1ww grens under the filler screw. things to look for on 1ww grens are alloy centre pieces, brass filler screws and the obvious markings on the base plug.
cheers, paul.
BAH ! SIEGFREID HAS BEAT ME TO IT. I'LL HAVE TO LEARN TO TYPE WITH MORE THAN ONE FINGER!

I think there's a thread on this somewhere . There's no real difference in the bodies except some WW1 ones have a date cast into them . Internally , the WW1 had either a brass or aluminium centre tube & the WW2 had zinc alloy [stamped Z] . Hope this helps.
Thanks Seigfried and Paul. That's exactly what I needed. I got a beautiful No 36 with a WW2 plug. I collect WW1 and needed a nice representative sample
Keith

Now another question on the 36. I had read that the No 5 and 23 base plugs should not fit a WW2 No 36. Is that true?

And is the WW1 No26 Mk3 basically the same as a 36 with a No23 plug? The Pictures I have seen are hard to differentiate between the 2

They all the same size.its different size filling plugs on no5 and 23mk 1 and 2 compared to the larger 23mk 3 and 36s fillers.but the baseplus are the same size.look out for israely no 4 grenades as they look like a mills but take a larger base plug.Regards Darrol.

They should fit the thread stayed the same. Regarding WW1 36's there are a range of mould shapes that appeared, most of which stayed for WW2. Centrepieces changed a lot in WW1 with aluminium alloy, brass, alloy and lead antinomy all being used. Perhaps the rarest is a lead antinomy alloy centrepiece with a copper det tube. I think these were made for a very short period in 1917. I've only seen two.

John

They all the same size.its different size filling plugs on no5 and 23mk 1 and 2 compared to the larger 23mk 3 and 36s fillers.but the baseplus are the same size.look out for israely no 4 grenades as they look like a mills but take a larger base plug.Regards Darrol.

Never seen the Isreali Mills called a No 4 before. Where did that come from?

John

Hi john.i was doing a little research on the israeli made mills grenades and read that it was called the number 4 handgrenade.trying to remember were i read it now :). Darrol.