What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ww1 Stielhandgranate

Spgr30

Ordnance approved
hi,
This grenade look like the model "Wilhelm", his name is "Stielhandgranate AZ mit Nadelsicherung" but who Knows how it work realy? Many thanks for answers..

Attachments

• Stg%201916.jpg
    Stg%201916.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
StHgr. Az. mit Nadelsicherung

Hello Spgr30,
Here the explanation (do you need translation?):

Attachments

• StHgr Az Nadelsicherung.JPG
    StHgr Az Nadelsicherung.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I'll appreciate to have a translation, because my german is worst than my english!! Thank you for that!

Hello Spgr30,
Here the translation:
"Doubled Needle-securing
The stick hand grenade with doubled needle securing blasts immediately when it hits the ground. Before throwing it must be primed first, through insertion of detonating cap. When the needle securing is removed, the fuze is capable to detonate the grenade. With purpose to avoid premature activation, the ring of the doubled needle is tied with a piece of cord (transport safety); mentioned cord has to be removed immediately before throwing. To throw one has to take the stick with the throwing hand; at the same time the little finger of this hand has to be inserted into the ring. Throwing is next; the ring with the needle remains at the little finger (the 1st component of the securing is off). During the flight the sheet iron shield falls off (connected with a piece of wire); so the 2nd (fine) component of the securing is off. The ball into the fuze is now free to pop up upon falling and release the fuzes striker."

Hallo Sprg30
thank you for yor excellent Picture of this Stielhandgranate mit AZ und Nadelsicherung.But,I want some more in detail, such as his height,diameter of the body and some thing of the Stick.
thank you

From the book:

Same mechanism like Wilhelm, but it's its predecessor - without that weight at the end of the "needle".

Attachments

• 185.jpg
    185.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 65
  • 186.jpg
    186.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 54
Ah Yes, The "Wilhelm" model 1916 percussion stick grenade. A real rarity in its own right. A safe to use grenade recognizable by its nearly all metal handle. The striker is cocked by an "S" lever keyed by a ball and locked by a long string. When thrown the pin was detached by a counterweight and freed the shutter making the flat spring fly away. Another over complicated design that was very short lived thiugh the general shape of the handle lasted the balance of the war. Geez, there are just so many "fish to fry" when it comes to German WW1 grenades......Dano

Last edited: