What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Turkish 75mm Shrapnel Projectiles

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured are 3 Turkish WW1 shrapnel shells, I think all 3 are for the Krupp M1903 L/30 Feldkanone. Pictured alongside the 3 Turkish shells is a Norwegian shrapnel from the same family of export guns, which all appear to use the 75x 277 case. The aluminium fuzed Norwegian is 226mm long, the brown and black Turkish projectiles are 214mm long and the smallest silver Turk is 176mm long. All measured from the base to the top of the basic projectile, excluding the adapter ring. Also pictured are 2 cases one made in Berndorf and the other in Karlsruhe, both with Turkish script on the primers which we now know says Krupp, thank you Alpini!
Never been sure if the brown paint is original, these projectiles tend to be a more red colour. Glad to have your views on the paint and if the smallest projectile is for the FK M03.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 70
the brown looks original but should have small scratches from the rifling or impact then.

Can you take better pictures of the norwegian (I guess it isn't) round, especially the fuze?

The short shrapnel on the right should be for mountain guns and not for a normal field gun.

Last edited:
Many thanks Alpini, I agree with your comment regarding the brown paint. There is paint missing, mostly around the bourellet area, which could indicate it is original. The paint also covers the base, which on most repainted shells is left bare metal.

Thank you for the identification of the shorter projectile. Do you have a thought on which mountain gun, is the 75mm M15 a possibility (75x129)? I have found trench art cases from Syria for this gun, but not one with Turkish script on the primer.

I am away with work and will post better pictures of the longer shell early next week.

Morning Alpini, as requested I have posted better pictures of what I was told was a Norwegian example of the shrapnel shell for the Krupp export field gun. Very glad to be educated!
I have also posted a couple of pictures of a M15 case, made in Berndorf but the trench art would indicate exported to the Turkish forces during WW1.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg