What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 United States Stokes mortar projectal color

vinnyw

Hello Can anybody tell me the color and stencling on a WW1 U.S. stokes projectal I beleive its a 3".Reference mat,l would be greatly apriciated.
Thanks in advance
vinny :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Sorry, I've got the UK "Handbook for Stokes Trench Mortar 3" Mark 1", dated 1916 and the US "Service Handbook of the 3-Inch Stokes Trench Mortar, Mark 1" dated 1921 - neither have any information on paint or markings, despite the US manual having nine pages on ammunition components. I may have other refs but they are buried at the moment. Better luck next time.

There is a large mortar collector out of Illinois (JJ) that likely has the info readily at hand, send me a PM and I'll pass you his personal e-mail. He is on the site as a typically silent member, but may not have checked things recently.

Hello Vinny,

This chart for the US 4" Stokes may help answer your question?

Stay safe,

Frank

2im04sy.jpg

Last edited:
That reference is generally ok for CW, with some errors, but the 3-inch Stokes was not loaded with CW, except in limited trials, and would not have used the CW color scheme. Even the CW stuff varied quite a bit. Here is a 4-inch filled with FS smoke (considered a CW fill at the time). What paint is left is original, the location of the bands varies a bit from the document shown.

I've seen very few 3-inch with original paint, and then there normally isn't much left. Here are the only three I have with any paint on them, the first two I believe are original paint, the third (yellow) I highly doubt.

Inertordnance, the ref you show came out in three versions, the best was the last, I believe dated around 1996. Contractors were allowed to do research in a military library, it is a good document in identifying the variety of munitions, but the understanding of the munitions by those who were doing the research was weak, and it flaws the document. The best thing that they did in that document was to list their references, for that alone it's a treasure trove. A much better source is Chemicals in War, 1937, by Prentiss. Give it a try and I think you'll be pleased.

Attachments

• 4-inch Stokes.jpg
    4-inch Stokes.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 3-inch Stokes  2.jpg
    3-inch Stokes 2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 3-inch Stokes  6.jpg
    3-inch Stokes 6.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 3-inch Stokes  3.jpg
    3-inch Stokes 3.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 80
Hello Subs,

Thanks, I misread the OP Reference Information for The 3" Stokes. I need to start drinking more coffee before posting! Also The "Old Chemical Weapons Reference Guide" the above charts came out of is dated May 1998.

Thanks again and stay safe,

Frank

I have dug up a few 3" stokes and have seen practice sand filled ones in grayish and a dull yellow brown color also a HE one that was redish pink in color the only chemical stokes I have ever come across were 4" dont think there were any 3"

Stokes 3-inch Chemical

A few British designs for chemical loaded 3-inch Stokes date from the end of 1915 and the end of 1916. It is generally held that only experimental quantities were manufactured and tested.

Attachments

• Stokes3-inCG.pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 112