What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Western Front iron harvest

In WW1 on the Western Front it is estimated that 1 ton of ordnance fell on every square meter of front. 1 of every 4 shells did not detonate. At Vimy there was 1 unexploded ordnance in every square meter.....Dano

i heard this things too

i heard also that in the whole WW1 20% off all fired shells are not detonated !!
ther should be a lot of stuff out there till now !!

Best regards David

Yeah, and as the French EOD will tell you, a lot of those duds were chem filled. The book titled "Aftermath : The Remnants of War" by Donovan Webster ISBN 0679431950 talks about it. If you go to allbookstores.com you can get a used copy for $4.00. It has chapters on the French EOD, the Eastern front reminiscent of the killing fields, where you walk and see bones everywhere, and a lot of other battlefield stories. It came out back in 1996 when the French were blowing all the chem projos up in the ocean when the tide came in and covered up the stockpiled pallets of chem projectiles. You can't go wrong for $4.00. Amazing reading.

i dont understand

there are lying so many unexplodet shells also empty shells why the frence goverment dont make a fas tand easy money with dealing of this shells but all what i see is they disarmend this shells and destroy it i believe a lot of collectors are ready to pay a lot of mony for some empty shells for there collection !
they have a hell of a money in ther country laying around everywhere but the go for destroy it as to sell it ??
Anyone any opinion on this theme ?

best regards David

there are lying so many unexplodet shells also empty shells why the frence goverment dont make a fas tand easy money with dealing of this shells but all what i see is they disarmend this shells and destroy it i believe a lot of collectors are ready to pay a lot of mony for some empty shells for there collection !
they have a hell of a money in ther country laying around everywhere but the go for destroy it as to sell it ??
Anyone any opinion on this theme ?

best regards David

The answer is very easy: the French goverment is like all the goverments in the world: Stupid. Another reason is because some of those shells are very dangerous.

Dear Grenademan

yes i agree with you and thats clear that maybe for example it is not a good idear to disarmed an chemical shell but i have visit this battlefields so often and there are laying so many shells empty around only the metall bodys of them in realy good conditions !!

best regards David