What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Whizz Bang shell

BMG50

Premium Member
During WW1 Allied soldiers reffered to German shell that came over as whizz bangs. I take that this would be the 77mm, was the refereal of a whizz bang a shrapnel shell or a HE shell or both? What would a typical shrapnel or HE round look like and what markings would they have. I was thinking about adding one to the collection what would i pay for a good one these days. I saw this on e-gun, is this the correct color for it.

Attachments

• 3672694_3_4f13073d59a83.jpg
    3672694_3_4f13073d59a83.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 91
Hi BMG, yes they were called wizz bangs not sure if they were shrapnel or HE but the colour is right for shrapnel the HE were red i think here is a pic of mine, ST is steal balls,
Andy

Attachments

• 7.7cm shrapnel.jpg
    7.7cm shrapnel.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 59
Hi Andy thanks for answering, do these shells with casing turn up now and then and what do they go for?

it's a Feldschrapnell C/96 with it's correct color... Not that rare - it's a very common "souvenir".

Hi BMG, yes the shells are common enough but to get a good one with a decent fuze and good paint I would have thought anything from 70 pounds to 150 as I have seen fuzes go for the same money its just being in the right place at the right time,
Cheers
Andy

Hi Guy's the shell i posted i had the chance of bidding on e-gun but didn't bid enough, it was quite original not a dug up, it even had the marks in the paint work when the shell was spinning in flight when it hit the ground and didn't go off. I suspect the price you mentioned would include the shell case as well. Were there different shell cases between the shrapnel and HE or were they the same, what would i be looking for. If any one knows who has one for sale PM me.