What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Anti-Aircraft :Very Rare Test Firing Photograph: Needing further help

Nightfire

Once again I am appealing for further help or insight to my grandfarther , I have just recived this photograph from my Uncle of what my grandfarther designed during the war. I thought the Warheads that I have where part of this new rocket but I am not so sure in all honestly it looks like a small V1 rocket so I am hoping someone may know more , oh in the photo the gentleman facing towards the camera is my grandfarther and just on a special note I have finally found his BEM that he was awarded for his work.

Happy to hear anyones insight

Cheers again.

Attachments

• Rocket Testing 1.JPG
    Rocket Testing 1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Rocket Testing Close Up2.JPG
    Rocket Testing Close Up2.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Looking through an old book on rockets and missiles, I have found a description of a programme called "Brakemine", which is said to be the only British SAM programme of WW2. There is a photo which shows a winged missile on a ramp, similar to yours although not quite the same - the photo caption says it was "one of the later models" so clearly they evolved.

Incidentally, the caption also says that "few photographs survive" of this programme, so the Imperial War Museum and the Artillery Museum might very well be interested in copies of your photo.

My book has quite a detailed description of the project which ran between 1942 and 1947. If you PM me with your email address I'll scan it and send it to you.

I have found only one internet reference, here: http://www.skomer.u-net.com/projects/brakemine.htm Since this says that an example of the missile survives at the REME museum, they might like a copy of your photo too.

In fact, I suspect that you may have the basis for an article in a military history magazine, if you're that way inclined.

The test site could possibly be Manorbier Range near Tenby, Pembrokeshire in Wales. This was used from the late 1930's by the Royal Artillery. The coastline certainly seems to fit the location.

The test site could possibly be Manorbier Range near Tenby, Pembrokeshire in Wales. This was used from the late 1930's by the Royal Artillery. The coastline certainly seems to fit the location.

I'd agree with the coastline comment, I've walked in that area many times and it does look quite familiar.
Dave.

It looks like Aberporth to me.

The Projectile Development Establishment was moved from Fort Halstead to Aberporth in 1940.

Rocket test firings were carried out there during the war.

I understand that some captured German Missiles were tested there post war.

It looks like Aberporth to me.

The Projectile Development Establishment was moved from Fort Halstead to Aberporth in 1940.

Rocket test firings were carried out there during the war.

I understand that some captured German Missiles were tested there post war.

Happy to go with the Aberporth idea now. Just a bit more confirmation of this comes from the book "Dangerous Energy" by W D Cocroft. In Ch8 he talks about ww2 and post war rocket development and briefly mentions the cordite based rocket motors used in "Brakemine", "Little Ben", and "Stooge" experimental guided weapons. He also mentions that a missile range was developed at Aberporth as an out station of the Royal Aeronautical Establishment (Farnborough) - did nightfire not mention in a previous thread that his g/father worked for RAE as well as G Kent?

Brakemine Beam Rider

Some notes attached which might be helpful.

Attachments

• BrakemineC1.jpg
    BrakemineC1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 46
  • BrakemineC2.jpg
    BrakemineC2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 42
  • BrakemineC3.jpg
    BrakemineC3.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 34