What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Brit fuze part ID

Yes a No.11 Mk I gaine made by Vickers Armstrong Engineering Ltd in October 1937 and filled by Royal Laboratories in June 1938. Commonly these gaines were used underneath a No. 199 powder time fuze on 3.7inch anti-aircraft shells.

Being pedantic - VAEL - Vickers Armstrong, (Elswick).

The 'RL' monogram is Royal Laboratories, Woolwich, however this denotes the item was manufactured/modified etc., there. The monogram 'W' - Woolwich, was utilised to denote that an item had been filled there (ignore SAA). There is also an apparent lack of 'Lot No.' which should accompany a filling. I suspect 'RL' have carried out some work on the gaine, 'VAEL' should have been barred out.

See - http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/101873-No-281-mk-ii?highlight=woolwich

TimG

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification Tim, I’m always learning. I should have remembered that Vickers Armstrong took over EOC in about 1927.