What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Czech 3.7cm Vz34 projectile

Vasco Da Gama

After a house move I am sorting out the collection, came across this projectile and thought to post a few images. It is the standard APC projectile for the Czech 3.7cm Vz34 gun, but probably made for export. It is marked with a script I cannot identify, both under the driving band and on the base fuze, the Skoda symbol is also added in numerous places. The projectile may have been painted red overall at some point, there are traces of red/orange under the cap and under the driving band. Posted for interest, but happy to be educated if somebody knows the history.
4144388C-1A1F-408E-A420-8C8C57AB4A04.jpg46E237B5-57C5-4711-B5DF-05F99ECE38AD.jpgAA6C0754-3AEA-41B8-B0DF-E595E4C54DFD.jpgDA55F1C4-7E17-400E-84CF-66607314B75C.jpg

From the crown symbol on the base fuze, this appears to have been made for export to Iran.

It also has the date marking of 1315 in Persian numbers on both the projectile and fuze, which is 1936 in Western years.

I did not know they were ever exported to Iran. Thank you for showing it and the explanation of the markings.

Fuzes and other stuff with persian (Farsi) markings were discussed on bocn and it seems that Skoda and Rheinmetall exported ammo in 30's.

Well everyday is a school day!
Many thanks Falcon for the explanation of the markings, the projectile date goes with the case date of 1936. I wonder if it ever made the journey to Iran or was diverted en route. I picked this up in the UK, so it is possible it was brought back from Iran. I think there was a strong UK presence in Iran in the 1930s. Well done BOCN!