What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 German 37mm projectiles

Vasco Da Gama

Probably a basic question but could anybody confirm if the standard AP projectile used in the 3.7cm Pak 36 is the same as that used in the 3.7cm Flak 18 or 36? I understand that both guns had very different tungsten cored projectiles but was the standard issued AP round for the Flak guns the same as that fired by the Pak? If they are different how do you tell them apart?

I'm sure someone has alot more info, but I believe the AA has two driving bands and ATG has only one.
Rich

No, they were not the same. I had no time to look around but am pretty sure the differences can be seen under other topics on this forum.

Hey Vasco,

Although rather similar, the rounds were not interchangeable.

The Pak round PaK having a far wider drivingband in copper or KPS ( unsure wether PaK rounds were also issued witth soft iron bands) and different crimping.
The standard FlaK AP Rounds came with (at least) two types of projectile base (single and double crimping) and narrower drivingbands.

regards,

EOD,

Thanx!
Were those soft iron drivingbands similar in shape to the KPS/Copper drivingbands?

Now to find one for my collection :)

regards,

Menno.

Yes, the one I have seen had the regular shape just made as a FES and it was on a practice AP projectile with "b" stencilled into the body.

Thnx!!

Then first thing to do is to find out wether or not the FES bands were also used on service (non b) rounds, as I don't collect b's.

greetz,

Menno.