What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 German 50kg Bomb Shrapnel

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
A bit I added to the collection recently...

As you will see from the photos its a very large piece of shrapnel from a 50kg bomb. I believe it is from a SC50 as it shows typical bending of case and chisel edges associated with thin cased bombs. ( the thicker cased bombs didnt bend in this way and the edges of the shrapnel produced were broken at more of a 90 degree angle)

This was recovered during the war from the building it dropped on, located approximately one mile from St. Pauls Cathedral, as the crow flies!!! (or should I say , as the Heinkels or Dorniers fly in this case)

I have added a Type 15 fuze (inert and F.F.E.) in the images along with a 50kg hanging hook to show the relative positions in what remains of the bomb case (these are for interest only and did not come with the piece of shrapnel) , along with a rule to give an idea of dimensions of the piece.

HPIM9823.jpg HPIM9818.jpg

Underside of casing...

HPIM9816.jpg HPIM9815.jpg

Here are some close up shots.....

HPIM9817.jpg HPIM9814.jpg

There are also remnants of green paint and red undercoat, together with some markings - and to cap it all off a Waffenampt stamp on the very edge !!!....

zzz.jpgHPIM9812.jpgHPIM9813.jpg

kind regards Kev

A very nice piece of shrapnel especialy where you can see what part of the bomb it came from. The paint and the stampings are an excellent bonus as its proof it came from such a bomb and not just any old piece of shrapnel which could be from anything.

A very nice piece of shrapnel especialy where you can see what part of the bomb it came from. The paint and the stampings are an excellent bonus as its proof it came from such a bomb and not just any old piece of shrapnel which could be from anything.

Thanks BMG50,

I totally agree, its great to be able to see exactly which part of the bomb the shrapnel came from. Its getting harder and harder to find such pieces which have original finish on them. Often Shrapnel pieces are found in a rusty state, ground recovered years later in some cases. The size of this one is also very impressive. Maybe I ought to think of some way of mounting it upright on a block of wood - my kind of ornament!!

regards Kev

Very impressive Kev, a real bonus to find the stampings and Waff stamp on it.
Why not mount it on the wall with some info about 50kg bombs, the way the relic butterfly's are mounted? You'd need a strong wall and picture frame.
Dave.