What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ww2 Magnetic Mine switch

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Latest addition, which arrived today...

This is, I believe, an electrical circuit switch for the German Magnetic mine as used in the type LM A and LM B mines. These were airdropped parachute mines used for anti-shipping and later were also dropped on land causing devastation. This 'switch' was located to the rear end of the mine.

I don't know very much about it, apart from that the rectangular box (in the middle) contains a bar magnet, when a ship passes over the mine (or close by) the magnet dips and in doing so completes the electrical circuit, which in turn explodes the mine. The whole unit is set in gimbles keeping the bar magnet in the correct plane no matter which way up the mine ends up on the sea-bed.

I have found dates on componants dating from 3-41 to 5-42 (so a later example I think)

I would love to know more about this item, should anyone have any line drawings or descriptions etc. and indeed if anyone can confirm the types of mine this was used on that would also be great.

Also, does anyone know if the magnetic unit was still installed in the mines that were dropped on land??

I hope you find it as interesting as I do

kindest regards
thanks for looking
Kev

HPIM6263.jpgHPIM6256.jpgHPIM6255.jpgHPIM6254.jpgHPIM6257.jpgHPIM6258.jpg

Nice Kev!

Are there any waffenamt stamps?

cheers

waff

Nothing obvious yet, though haven't had chance to study it closely - its quite a large object, so will let you know if I do!!
Maker marked on case....... brd

regards Kev

This is a "M1 BIK" for ground mines.

Waffenamt stamps will be hardly found since this one was in air force layed mine. On the more sophisticated and secret items very seldom acceptance stamps or designations are found.

Check US OP 1673A, page 119.

This is a "M1 BIK" for ground mines.

Waffenamt stamps will be hardly found since this one was in air force layed mine. On the more sophisticated and secret items very seldom acceptance stamps or designations are found.

Check US OP 1673A, page 119.

Many thanks EOD

Unfortunately I don't have access to that publication, but thankyou for the reference and ID - much appreciated.

regards Kev

Fair comment EOD. I have however seen waffenamt stamps in other german mine clocks/switches.

best

W

Your firing device is a Dip-Needle Magnetic firing system used in aircraft laid magmetic ground mines. The magnetic versions of the GC and GD (LMA and LMB) mines used this unit. They were classed as red or blue field units and were adopted by the U.s. The G series could be dropped on land at a target of opportunity or normally at sea. They were parachute retarded and used the 34 A or B bom fuze which would detonate the mine if it did not land in water.
With regard to the Waff mark, were not the ELAZ fuzes dropped by the air force??
Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Your firing device is a Dip-Needle Magnetic firing system used in aircraft laid magmetic ground mines. The magnetic versions of the GC and GD (LMA and LMB) mines used this unit. They were classed as red or blue field units and were adopted by the U.s. The G series could be dropped on land at a target of opportunity or normally at sea. They were parachute retarded and used the 34 A or B bom fuze which would detonate the mine if it did not land in water.
With regard to the Waff mark, were not the ELAZ fuzes dropped by the air force??
Cheers,
John

Thankyou John for confirmation that this was used in the LM A and LM B mines (british known as type C and type D)
kind regards
Kev

You certainly have seen Luftwaffe acceptance marks. I doubt they were Waffenamt.

Ok,ok,lets not split-hairs now! :tinysmile_tongue_t:

@John,im very impressed with your fuze drawings. Well done sir! :)

cheers

waff

Op 1673a

Available here if member:

[ame]http://www.scribd.com/doc/31754746/Op-1673a-GERMAN-UNDERWATER-ORDNANCE-MINES-1946[/ame]

Regards,
John

Thank you for your comment Waff.
by the way what is the difference between the stamps mentioned?
John

I would just like to say a big thankyou to everyone for all comments and information relating to this item.

I can now confirm it to be a M1 unit for the German parachute mines type LM A and LM B (German designation). The unit I have is a SE-BIK - which means it is a single needle unit with an ALA (Automatic Latitude Adjuster) - these were first used in 1940. (this was a progression from the earlier hand set version, which was first used in 1939 designation E-BIK)

I have looked for any acceptance stamps and cannot find any obvious ones on the item I have. It does however have dated componants and maker marks. I will continue to look for you waff!!!

To answer John's question on the difference in stamps. I believe the waffenampt marks refer to the eagle mark with the WAa number below and the Luftwaffe acceptance stamps was a different style of eagle with usually a three digit number. The acceptance marks are particular to an individual inspector and I believe these moved with him from area to area. (please correct me if I am wrong on any of these points!! - this is merely as I understand it)

thanks again to all
regards
Kev

To answer John's question on the difference in stamps. I believe the waffenampt marks refer to the eagle mark with the WAa number below and the Luftwaffe acceptance stamps was a different style of eagle with usually a three digit number.

The Luftwaffe acceptance mark is an Eagle which's body is formed by the letter "L" (for Luftwaffe) and they used a two digit number.

The Luftwaffe acceptance mark is an Eagle which's body is formed by the letter "L" (for Luftwaffe) and they used a two digit number

Thanks EOD, I hadn't realised that the Luftwaffe acceptance mark incorporated an "L" for Luftwaffe - thanks for pointing that one out!!

I have to disagree on the two digit number though......although you are quite correct,two digit numbers were also used !! (possibly one digit numbers too??)...... As for the three digits being used - I attatch a couple of photographs for reference.

......as a point of interest, does anyone know how high (or low) these figures ran?? - perhaps an interesting thread all of its own!!

Appreciate the comments EOD

kind regards Kev

HPIM6276.jpgHPIM6277.jpg

........and just to be fair to EOD, here is an example of a two digit acceptence stamp.

any single digit marks out there??

regards Kev

HPIM6278.jpg