What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Mortar ammunition

Italy had a tail like this on their long bodied 81mm mortar, the US developed one as well, I believe the US one was later. WWII timeframe for each, the Italian guys should have some good photos - if not some can be found without too much trouble

I'm sorry but this tail is similar to italian 81 mm G.C. tail, but in my opinion it is not the same ... What's about the headstamps of the propelling charge ?

Regards
stecol

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 31
I have 81мм a mine, but that that on a photo is made another. Searched on the Internet, but the information hasn't found. The question remains opened

Last edited:
I was thinking that they might be the folding tail fins from a US M45 81 MM mortar
75-1-49-1.jpg

Here it already is very interesting. And you don't have separately the drawing, the tail? The inscription on the case VARSHAVA, who the manufacturer interests?

Last edited:
We discussed these fins a while back in this post:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/44825-URGENT-POSITIVE-ID-s-REQUIRED/page2?highlight=81mm+fins

If you look at the leading edge of the fins, they are perpendicular to the tail boom, making them most likely from the U.S. M45 81mm mortar projectile.

If the fins were slanted back on the leading edge, it would be from the French or italian mortar projectile.

You could also confirm identity by the headstamp of the mortar cartridge in the tail.

Last edited:
Interesting, Googling "VARSHAVA" I get locations in Russia, Bulgaria and Poland. I'll look through some photos and see if I can find any Russian folding fin designs for mortars.

Sorry, no luck. The Russians played with a lot of mortar fin designs and I'm pretty sure I have seen one similar to the French/US/Italian designs, but I cannot seem to find any in a photo. I've included a couple of shots of some of the variations that I do have photos of. Not relevant, just since I was that deep in the files anyway I figured I may as well post something. As I mentioned in previous threads, I've seen a spring loaded fin design recovered when I was in in former Yugoslavia (Bosnia) as well, though a very different design with a much larger tail boom. I've included a photo of it also, as well as a closeup of one of my other expanding fin sets. Right or wrong, mine came mounted on a US mortar. I've checked for markings, there are none, nor an ignition cartridge.

Mortar group 1.jpg 107mm long model 2.jpgExperimental mortar fins.jpg DSC_0121 (2).jpgDSC_0151.jpg

Hello

I did a little more searching and found the engineering drawings for the US folding fins

75-2-265-1.jpg

75-2-266-2.jpg

Last edited:
The friend has sent me a photo of the cartridge, now isn't clear that did the Polish cartridge in the American mine. And he has still made a name spelling error
attachment.php

attachment.php

Warszawa is Warsaw in Poland and PFA was their state ammunition factory and they also used this folding fin design which is a Brandt development. Their designation for this shell was "wz31" (M31).