What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 spent grenade fuze to ID

Panzerbr

This was found on a large field, used during ww2 by commonwealth and american troops. Any idea what is it? Thanks

Attachments

• P4022569 b.jpg
    P4022569 b.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 35
  • P4022567 b.jpg
    P4022567 b.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 35
To me it looks very much like the fuze used on the British no80 phos grenade and other smoke grenades,
weve got some brit grenade collectors on here im sure theyll come up with more info

Attachments

• fuses-2.jpg
    fuses-2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 34
  • no-80.jpg
    no-80.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
mousetrap igniter

Used on No 80 WP and No 83 smoke grenades. Looking at its condition I would say its from a No 83 as the No 83 does not explode when used. There may be evidence of staining if it was from a smoke grenade. Is the anvil still inside?
Hangarman

Hi, that fuze configuration was used with a number of chemical grenades from WW2 through to quite recent times. Cheers

Attachments

• WP.jpg
    WP.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Brit Falklands.jpg
    Brit Falklands.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 27
Hi, thanks to everybody! I would also tend to believe it might be a smoke grenade: the fuze was found as you see it, nothing attached, and in the area there were plenty of spent dummy .303 cases.
For Hangarman : I am not sure what the anvil is. I did not notice any staining from smoke, but there are (visibile in the pictures) some black stains of something now solid that looks like varnish or tar?

Anvil

The anvil contains a .22 rimfire cartridge crimped onto a length of fuse. It is located in the middle of the mechanism.If you manage to dismantle the 2 parts of the mouse trap mechanism the anvil will be revealed.If there is evidence of sealant on the thread then it probably is from a no83 smoke grenade. The igniter for the smoke gren was factory fitted wheras the igniter for the No 80 was fitted when the grenade was required for use. The anvil is the same type used on mills 36's. ....Sorry for the waffle!
Cheers
Hangarman

Hi.
this is the No2 Mk1 fuze as seen on my British No80 gren.
Used on No83 grens as well.
Paul.

Attachments

• Page3No80fuze.jpg
    Page3No80fuze.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 14