What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 steel ammunition box identification code inquiry

morsey

Please forgive my basic description of the following. There was a steel ammunition box, issued during WW2 that was capable of holding two of the brown, plywood constructed, ready to use, .303 ammunition boxes that had to thick wire carrying handles.
Could someone please let me know the code number for the steel ammunition box. I understand that it could be used for other purposes. There was a page on this site that laid out all the codes to be found on ammunition boxes and their uses, but I am unable to locate it. I understand that it was issued to the Home Guard, at least, as a steel box carrying two wooden boxes.
Thank you in advance.
Morsey

Thank you TimG I have found my example of an H50 box which will now have the two H51's fitted and will be donated to a re-en group at the Victory Show this weekend.

H50 and H51 boxes never saw wartime service. They were developed in 1944 and were designed to be used in the far east but never actually saw service as Japan surrendered, thus ending the war. They were used for .22, .303, 9mm and 7.92 BESA and lastly 7.62 before being replaced by the H82 in the mid 60s. As has been pointed out they have had many uses since...