What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 US 40mm Bofors Rounds

Tankbarrell yours is an army one, should have the strange dotted crimp marks? Al,saad, yours looks US but was made in Italy! do you have pics of the projectile? Tig:wink:

photo 1 (5).JPGphoto 2 (4).JPGphoto (11).JPGphoto 3 (2).JPG

I do not even like 40mm Bofors shells. I would be happy to trade these. The HE as the ordnance corps logo with a fuse M64A1 - dated 1942. There are two M81's. One does not have a ballistic cap - short one is dated 1940; the complete M81 is dated 1942. The yellow HE is labeled Mk II T.

Last edited:
That HE would look good in my case..... I suspect trying to bring that into the UK would be an exercise in futility!

40mmAP-T surely aid in the marshall plan to France and Italy.
Custom USN for use in the Marine Française and Italy
40L60-AP-T-.png

40mmclip.jpg

Last edited:
It is possible the HE, without its fuse, would make it to the UK. I shipped quite a bit back and forth in early 2015 without issues. However, just in the past 6 months, almost anything that looks like a bullet gets stopped - both ways. If you want to assume the risk, I am willing to ship it. It should be shipped to someone with a collectors license, or you could be raided if it is stopped. I just had a couple of items make it out, and they were disassembled.

Send me a note at witkows@yahoo.com, and we can discuss it further.

I can screw pipe or bolts into the top and bottom, and it will look like a machined part. It will ship just fine.

Last edited:
Hello,

What is the designation of this shell, I can't find color code (green-black-yellow-red) in the doc ?

Regards

View attachment 117796

View attachment 117795

I cannot find anything which defines the meaning of the color code ' red, yellow, black, green'. Maybe this is a late war variation of the HE-I-T (UL) which is 'red, white, back, green' on the 1943 dated color charts, no proof just speculation.

I've attached a U.S. Navy color code listing from 1947; the color yellow is no longer listed.
Brian

Attachments

• U.S. Navy, 1947, a.jpg
    U.S. Navy, 1947, a.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 28
  • U.S. Navy, 1947, b.jpg
    U.S. Navy, 1947, b.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hello
HE-I-TDI-SD High Explosive-Incendiary-Tracer,Dark Ignition-Self Destruct
Saludos

Tankbarrell yours is an army one, should have the strange dotted crimp marks? Al,saad, yours looks US but was made in Italy! do you have pics of the projectile? Tig:wink:

here it is

Attachments

• 40mm.jpg
    40mm.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 69
Thanks guys.

I also thought to a wrong combination : HEITDISD fuze on HEIT body.

Regards

(hasag : I think DI is for Delayed Ignition)

40mm us.jpg

Other example
40mmbof.jpg

Last edited:
40mm L/60 HE-T-SD Ex Yugoslavia, manufactured BPD by Italy

40L60-HE-T-.png

Last edited:
Empty Italian made cases used in Yugoslavia are later relaborated after new round prefragmented with steel balls and fuse UT M8 SP (Soviet UM8 modified for the 40mm shells). Reparation and relaboration was done in the Sloboda Čačak factory in former Yugoslavia, now Serbia.

Here is another from my collection, this time its a US Navy BL-T Blind Load Tracer with a note found inside the projectile when i opened it.
Best regards Weasel.

20160304_121420_HDR.jpg20160304_121751_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
The last one for me to post from my collection of US WW2 40mm Bofors rounds is this HEP-NP, wish i had more but they are hard to aquire. would like to see some more from other members if anyone has any.
Best regards Weasel.

20160304_121919_HDR.jpg20160304_122132_HDR.jpg20160304_122207_HDR.jpg20160304_122225_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting marking WEASEL
Ammo re-used in 1952 by the DM? (DM US or DM Germany?)
Saludos
Enrique

Hi Enrique,
I wondered about that to, but the round came from the US and also I would of expected the 1944 date to have been struck out if re-issued.
Best regards Weasel.