What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 US M3 anti personnel mine

joelmc

Hello
here is my last found ,a M3 US mine (here whe call it "cubic" mine)
i found it two weeks ago in a mountain in my area
du to is condition i would like to refurbish it (repaint and add marks) and for that i am looking for pictures showing the original marks
so if someone got that it would be great
Thanks to all
Regards
joel

3459335538_7186646dac.jpg

The paint scheme on your mine is as follows:

Olive Drab (OD) body, but the filler plug (closing disk) would be painted yellow.

Black lettering (All capitals 1/4" to 5/16" high) on the outside would read:

MINE,
ANTI-PERSONNEL,M3
LOT 4473-20
P.A.-7-1942

The lot number and date are just examples shown in the manual. the P.A. is Picatinny Arsenal

John​

Here are a couple photos of a mine in a friend's collection. It's the nicest example I've ever seen. The black and yellow markings are stencilled on opposite sides of the mine body.

That is a great find in any condition. The M3 is one of the toughest U.S. mines to find.

Attachments

• PICT0041.JPG
    PICT0041.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 93
  • PICT0043.JPG
    PICT0043.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 78
thanks for the pictures
i will try to do my best to applied the same marks
here the M3 is not really rare
in the mountain where i found this one a friends of me found 4 or 5 more ,all in the same small area
all was deactivated,we think that it's a mine box witch was leave by the US army and found at the end of the war by a demining section
i know another area where 20 years ago a lot of(more than 20) M3 was found on the side of a road inside a hole but all are pick up now
i live near the frontier between France and Italy and the units who fight against the german troops here was the FSSF (first special service force) and the 517th para during the autumn 1944
Regards
joel

here is the M3 with the closing disk and the first paint

3492752631_b7c5b2494c.jpg

Last edited:
i am jealous and feel so tiny with my few rifle cartridges i have to offer...
:-(

any clue if this thing was still in use after WWII? maybe in korea?