What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 weapons and ordnance collection

Yeah I know what you mean in my really early days of collecting I asked Carlin for a french 47mm WW2 tank round and I got sold a 47mm jap hotchkiss from 1901 I more careful now but still learning
;)

Does anyone remember the german stick grenades worldwidesh#te were selling at one time they told me they were original at an arms fair years ago.:angry:

I'm going from RichardB's I.D. on the shell.
The 7.5cm Sprgr Patr 34 was used with the Pak 40 so the hairbarebunch round is right.
It wasn't used with the 7.5cm Kwk 38 L/24.
I think I should withdraw from this as I'm going out of my collecting knowledge.
Can any of you German Collectors confirm or deny what this round is, if only for DAZ REICH's sanity!

Quatermass (I was only trying to help)

Well....ooops is all I can say, oh and this.

Siegried (Saffy) is an excellent and fair dealer, I certainly didn't intent pointing a finger, as I've bought alot of items from him, all excellent. Im certain this is a genuine mistake. Thats assuming im right in my identification, of course. ....I do know that Zunder and Pzgr40, would know instantly. I bow to their knowledge.

Eitherway, both the case and proj are in excellent condition, so I think you're still quids in.

So if I waffle a little more, I think the correct HE projectile for the case has a hemi-spherical end to it, and small "nipple" of a fuze....sorry, don't have pic. (7,5cm SprGr 38 HL)

As for the projectile, I'd go find a nice Kwk40 or Pak40 Case and wop it in the end.
(Kwk - being TANK gun, Pak - being Anti-Tank gun....if anyone didn't know)

Rich

Wheres this topic going guys,theyre seems to be a fair bit of dealer knocking going on here,.In future please keep these type of named complaints/comments in the Dealer Reviews Forum

..definitely not knocking anyone....especially after finding this.

nwkk75srt.jpg

So...either the PZIV website is wrong or this pic is, I don't have 50/50 or ask the audience left, so its left to ask a friend.. in which case, id plump for Zunder or Pzgr40, both members.

Im with Quatermass, Im also out ;-)

Hi Spotter.

I dont think I've 'knocked' any dealer. I simply stated that the named dealer is not a collector and would not have been aware that the round was a 'mix and match'.
If theres anything you want removed then let me know.
I was just trying to respond to questions from RichardB, Waffenamt and DAZ REICH.
Over and out.

Quatermass.

Ive seen that its on germanmilitaria website i think thanks everyone I think the trouble with german ammunition that there was no real standard because of the chaos of war /bombing ordnance had to be made out of whatever was at hand .
Thankyou everyone for your research and comments i have learnt alot from you all and will ask you all in future if i am unsure about buying an item.

Welcome aboard....its only by reasearch do we find learn, and find the truth.

Rich

Phil atkinson (harebarebunch) has just replied to an email i sent him he says that the brass driving bands were used on the L24 because they would disintegrate in a high velocity PAK 40 gun thats why they used different kinds of steel on the pak 40

Please look at my other items of WW2 ordnance i posted tonight and give me your Flak

Love Darren

copper worked fine on every other nations munitions.
I think it had more to do with Germanys lack of resources that they used sintered iron for driving bands and steel for case's.

Quatermass

Ive got some WW2 sintered iron 9mm parabellum rounds wouldnt these damage the rifling of a weapon after a very short time? and what is sintered iron ?i read somewhere years ago it was compressed iron dust but my memory and brain isnt what it used to be.
Help anyone

quatermas think youll be able to answer this for me,i once heard that steel driving bands were sometimes pre cut for the rifling,is this correct

Ive got a 3.7cm flak (see my other collection pics) it has an FES driving band which is iron i think but it does not have any pre rifling on the band

Sintered Iron did allow higher velocities to be attained than with copper bands but it was really about economy of copper.
Iron bands wore out gun barrels quicker than conventional bands unless the rifling twist was changed to one with an increasing twist.
Sintered iron bands were made from iron dust that was heated to just below its melting point until the particles adhere to each other.
I've not heard that iron bands were pre cut (unless the specific weapon required it?)
In a standard gun you'd have trouble lining up the prerifled band and the barrel rifling.

Quatermass