What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI Fuzes

EODGUY

Some of my WWI era fuzes, the Mk I and a cutaway, Mk II, Mk III, Mk IV and a cutaway, Mk 5 and a cutaway and a Mk VII. The Mk IV is shown with the Mk II adapter/booster and the Mk V is shown with the Mk III adapter booster.

Attachments

• Mk I.jpg
    Mk I.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Mk I cutaway.jpg
    Mk I cutaway.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Mk II.jpg
    Mk II.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Mk III.jpg
    Mk III.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Mk IV.jpg
    Mk IV.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Mk IV cutaway.jpg
    Mk IV cutaway.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Mk V.jpg
    Mk V.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Mk V cutaway.jpg
    Mk V cutaway.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Mk VII.jpg
    Mk VII.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Mk VII nose.jpg
    Mk VII nose.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 62
WWI fuzes...

Hello EODGUY,

THANK YOU for showing us your BEAUTIFUL WWI fuzes! Your 6-inch Trench mortar fuze, MK XVI is the first I've seen. You identify it as a MK VII?

Best regards,

Randall

Mate,

That's a superb collection of WW1 fuses!

Thanks for sharing!
Cheers
Drew

Some of my WWI era fuzes, the Mk I and a cutaway, Mk II, Mk III, Mk IV and a cutaway, Mk 5 and a cutaway and a Mk VII. The Mk IV is shown with the Mk II adapter/booster and the Mk V is shown with the Mk III adapter booster.
Very nice.I just picked up one that looks just like the mk111,but mine dosn,t have the screw,can you tell me what that fits?Thank you very much.:tinysmile_classes_t
vinny

First of all, thanks for the positive comments on the fuzes from everyone. There are two variations of the Mk III. I have attached drawings from a WWI period document. The first production did not have the safety device (The screw in the side) added. Feeling that more safety was needed for the fuze, they added the centrifugal safety device. It is normally a positive block to the firing train during storage and handling. The rotation of the projectile will force the internal plug outwards, opening up the firing train for impact.
The Mk VII that I identified is a Mk VII and not a Mk VI. I have attached two drawings of the fuze. It was fielded for the smooth bore trench mortars because since they had no rotation on the projectiles the fuzes used had to arm themselves by setback inertia. The Mk IV and Mk V fuzes required set back, but the low muzzle velocities of the trench mortars didn't provide enough inertia to arm them. They introduced the Mk VII and Mk VII-E to meet the inertia requirements. As you can see the only difference between the Mk VII and the Mk VII-E was the change from a top mounted safety screw, vice a side mounted safety pin, either of which had to be removed before firing. Never ran across a Mk VII-E.

Attachments

• Mk III Dwgs.jpg
    Mk III Dwgs.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Mk VII 1.jpg
    Mk VII 1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Mk VII 2.jpg
    Mk VII 2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 33