What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII (1940) bomb found in field exploded

Panzerknacker

A World War II bomb found in a field in North Yorkshire has been detonated in a controlled explosion. The 500lb (227kg) device was found in the field near Ebberston on Sunday by enthusiasts who were excavating a plane which crashed there in the 1940s.
More than 1,000 people living in Ebberston and nearby Allerston were evacuated and surrounding roads were closed ahead of the blast.
An RAF team carried out the controlled explosion at 1502 BST.
The team spent two days preparing for the blast, surrounding the device with dozens of one tonne sandbags to minimise the impact of the explosion.
A 300m cordon placed around the field was extended to more than a kilometre ahead of the detonation.
Leaflets about the evacuation were delivered to residents on Monday night and buses were put on to take people to the village hall at Snainton, which is about two miles away.
Animals grazing on fields in the affected area were also moved.
It is thought the aircraft was a Whitley bomber which was returning to the UK after being hit by flak over Germany.
The pilot and two crew were said to have parachuted from the plane before it crashed in the field.

According to one report, the bomb was found in the bucket of a digger ! :toilet: (the digger driver will be still shitting himself ! )

LOOK ON HERE : news.bbc.co.uk , AND CLICK 500LB BOMB !
OR WATCH THE NEWS !

Last week, bomb disposal teams detonated an unexploded second world war bomb at sea after it was dredged up by a fishing boat. After two failed attempts, crews managed to blow it up off the east Kent coast. The Germans used parachute mines against British targets in 1940 and 1941.

Last edited:
Nice one!

I was listening to Five-Live news today and this was covered. Thanks for the info

best

waff

Nice one!

I was listening to Five-Live news today and this was covered. Thanks for the info

best

waff

Was this a German bomb as i cant seem to find much on it,only the link to the BBC news.

The controlled det seemed very tame by comparison to the sugar house lane Herman and the Bexhill 50kg,so they must have emptied it completely.

Best phil

I believe it was a crashed British bomber my mate.
Some of the lads were on about it tonight down the boozer. Could still be wrong?
Anyone confirm this please?

W

i gues it was an german bomb

i gues it was a german bomb and had nothing to do with the plane crash because i am not sure a bomber returned with a non droping of bombs i heard often that german bombers when there are not able to drop the bombs on there target there droped there bombs of any other kind of targets even in the Channel because to land with full bombs weight was to dangerous !!
But only my opinion !!

best regards David

Great link,that confirms it then.:top:

Phil,perhaps the chap in charge of the BD outfit didnt want his lads mugshots on telly??

waff