What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII Booby Trap Detonator

cpergiel

I was watching "Where Eagles Dare" on TV the other day and I was intrigued by the combination trip-wire / delay-timer detonators they used with their bundles of dynamite. Have you ever seen these, or know anything about them?

These detonators contained a pocket-watch sized timer, a toggle switch with two positions labeled CONTACT and DELAY and a spring loaded spool of trip wrip with a clip on the end. They were strapped to a bundle of about a half dozen sticks of dynamite. The two lead characters were carrying bags full of these bundles.

I am particularly interested in finding out whether these were modeled after actual devices, or whether a prop man just made them up for this movie.

for anyone who doesnt know what these devices look like heres some pics i found on the net

Attachments

• WhereEaglesDare_Bomb1.jpg
    WhereEaglesDare_Bomb1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 52
  • WhereEaglesDare_Bomb4.jpg
    WhereEaglesDare_Bomb4.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 54
  • WhereEaglesDare_Bomb5.jpg
    WhereEaglesDare_Bomb5.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 43