What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII Japanese color codes/markings. on 20MM AP round.

Tietrack

I have a 20 MM Japanese AP projectile with a thin green band over a thin white band mid way down on the projectile. Have been told 2 different things. One person said it means its a hard steel AP projectile and another said the green means "Tracer" and the white means "armor piecing". (while the color "red" means "self-destruct" on a anti-air craft round). If it's the former ie. hard steel, why would the Japanese make an AP projectile that wasn't hard steel? Doesn't make sense to have a soft steel AP projectile does it? Hope its not to confusing the way I asked it. Any infomation appreciated.

You don't say what type of Japanese 20mm you have. However, I hope the following is of some help.

If it is a Type 97 20mm anti-tank round then the colour banding for the Type 100 Armour Piercing Tracer is:
Soft steel - none
medium Steel - Green band
Hard steel - Green and white band

If it is for the Ho1 or Ho3 Aircraft cannon then a green and white band indicates Armour-piercing tracer also, but it does not have a type number nor does it indicate the steel type. A red band below the bourrelet would mean explosive.

If for the Type 98 Anti-aircraft cannon the markings are the same as the Type 97 with three grades of steel, green and white indicating hard steel with tracer. Ho5 aircraft cannon Type 2 AP-T are exactly the same.

The above are all army/air force weapons. Japanese navy 20mm were of a different type and had different colour codes.

Quite why the Japanese had three grades of steel is uncertain, but perhaps may have depended on the quality available and/or where it was made.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks for the information Tony: Its a Type 97/100 armor piercing tracer with green over white band.

Last edited: