What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII Russian 76mm Projectile Z-350 - What is it?

M8owner

I have a good bit of Russian 76mm ammunition coming in, so I have been trying to understand all the 76mm variations that are in the Russian artillery manual in the downloads section on this site. My goal is to produce a table with all the projectile, case and fuse combinations (big table). I am having to put my Russian language training from the US Army back to use (hard to do that after 30 years). I learned it to help the US nuke the Soviets (might be helpful again in the near future). Internet translators are helpful. However, I have not been able to determine the purpose of the Z-350 projectile. It has a time fuse and an ejection charge that pushes out three segments in flight. Three segments of what? It is not an illumination round. It is not smoke. The segments are not explosives. It has to be a chemical gas round - best I can tell. May I request our member's help with this one? What does "зажйгательный дальновойный" mean?

Attachments

• Z-350 76mm.jpg
    Z-350 76mm.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Russians had several types of 76mm incendiary shells. They had in each layer 3-4 separate segmented charges which were flewn out like schrapnel. I think yours is one of them. I have in Finnish WW2 manual 2 other types, but not the same as yours.

Зажигательный дальноБойный снаряд - it`s Incendiary long range shooting shell. You made mistake in word, maybe that`s why you didn`t understend what is it (but I think Google can solve this problem now ;)
I have manual for old 76-mm shells and with this shell too. But I have old Russian/Soviet manual without GRAU indexs (as you wrote - Z-350), because manual printed when didn`t exist those indexs.

Last edited:
Word to word translation really is incendiary long range, but to put a parallel with UK ammunition, I would use the word streamlined.
Looking forward to see the table, especialy the part on shrapnel fuzes :tinysmile_twink_t:
Are You interested in non soviet eastern block ammo too?
Maybe You planed to nuke East Germany too so here is something in German language.
Bob

Attachments

• Bild 8.jpg
    Bild 8.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Bild 9.jpg
    Bild 9.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 52