What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You do not want to be the crew....

pzgr40

Premium Member
of the Tank at 1:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2TLS1sqMl8

It also shows the main disadvantage of a open ammo carrousel below your turret like this T-72, instead of an automaticly closing door ammo rack at the back of the turret with upward explosion deflecting hatches like the M1A1 Abrahms.

Last edited:
Impressive.
Would other tank crews normally wait nearly 3 minutes before moving off? I'd have thought they would want to avoid being the next target.
Dave.

Hi,Thanks for posting vid,I am sure I saw/read somewhere that there must have been a round in the breech that went off as the tank was struck by the RPG,then as the remaining ammunition inside the tank exploded there is a jet of smoke forced out of the gun muzzle,would the breech open on recoil ready for reloading,if so this would explain how the hot gas/smoke was able to stream from the muzzle,there is a muzzle flash from the tank at the time of impact of the RPG,triggered by the impact of the RPG perhaps,?
Cheers,
Don,

Here is shorter version of the tank brewing up, no mention of an attack on it. I think the original video was edited for propaganda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=750jAbdf-I8

The gas escaping from the barrel comes out a few seconds after the main explosion but afterwards there was no more smoke, if the breech was open I think it would be reasonable to expect more gas etc while it was still burning inside. I wonder if there was a round in the chamber that cooked off. If a round premetured in the breech as it was fired would it cause the other ammo to cook off instantaneously?

This will get interesting when the Ammo Techs join in.

I getting technical now,I stop framed it and as the RPG strikes there is a small puff of dark smoke from the muzzle followed by a muzzle flash,all this taking place as the RPG strike fireball was developing then smoke under pressure coming out of the muzzle as the on board ammo burns up,was the (very lucky)bloke at the back of the tank already out of the tank at the time of the RPG strike or was he ejected by the blast,either way he is one lucky chap because as he runs into the building there are SAA rounds striking the walls near him as he disappears inside,
I too look forward to the ammotechs view on this,
Cheers,
Don,