What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You wanna make a piece of ammo look interesting? .......cut it!

Cutting guide lines ?

I see lots of items dissected on this site. Is there a general convention on what to cut and what not to cut ?
I sort of presume good intact examples are not cut , while damaged examples are okay to cut.

I allways think if an item is is good to mint condition then its a crime to section
Steve

I think the same, but there are some items that are so rare that even in relic condition you cant use one for make a cut away.

but its nice to see inside cut shells but i would never cut any of mine relic or mint

regards lee

I wondered why there was little response in the cutaway section ,us cutters are all bad criminals..I prefer to have my items cut ,but its all down to individual choice in the end...

I personally like the cut aways, but it is a problem find one piece for cut it or find already cutted examples. My girlfriend always says that they are destroyed items, but I explain her that they are very nice items for learn how work they. I made myself the MKIIA1 cut from an old ashtray.

Attachments

• Cut-Aways.jpg
    Cut-Aways.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Cut MKIIAI.jpg
    Cut MKIIAI.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Cut Fuze.jpg
    Cut Fuze.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Cut A.jpg
    Cut A.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 59
I wondered why there was little response in the cutaway section ,us cutters are all bad criminals..I prefer to have my items cut ,but its all down to individual choice in the end...

You cut ALL what you get? For me you are not criminals, as I say Id like much the cut items and always amaze me the necessary work for make one and how difficult is. You need special machinery.

Last edited:
Machinery would be nice to have,you would get a good result then,unfortunately i have to do it the hard way.I use Angle Grinder,Hacksaw and File.

I like both, my ideal collection would be a complete round next to a sectioned one of each type, but then perhaps I'm just greedy! If someone offers me a really rare round that is cut I'm not likely to turn it down.
Dave.

Yes, thats would be perfect. Spotter, for do it "with your hands" your work is really fine and precise. Have you thought do it for another collectors for a price?

I seem to have started something !

I don't have any cut 37mms, partly because it is rare to find a period original, which is what I would want. If I had to make the choice of buying a cut round period or not or add another uncut example I would go for the whole item. Yet it is always interesting to see the insides. Some types are so common, the WW1 French Mle 1888 common shell for instance that cutting some would make no difference. Others are so rare it would be a sad loss. One thing, some of the recent cutaways done by members are so good that how 50 to 100 years from now will another collector know if they were say original WW2 or done 60 years later ? Does any one sign their work and date it ??

The Plague !

I always used to avoid sectioned (cut) items like the plague, however someone has convinced me otherwise !
And I will now say that they do have an important place in one's collection especially if you have a complete one also.

Cutting ammunition is a skillful job and not for the feint hearted as I am sure Spotter and others will testify.

I have seen some great cutaways here. Spotter, grenademan to name a couple. The cutaways really help understanding the mechanism. The cutaways also make it obvious that is is not live ordnance.

Yes, thats would be perfect. Spotter, for do it "with your hands" your work is really fine and precise. Have you thought do it for another collectors for a price?

I dont have the skills or the confidence to try and cut stuff for other people,If something goes wrong when i am cutting something (which it does often) i am the only person who has lost an item,its not a risk i would be willing to take with other peoples items

I like cutaway models only because:

1- you can explain how a piece of ammo functions.
2- If you don't like the cutaway anymore you turn the cutaway side to the wall (180 degr turn) and you'll see the uninteresting side.
3- It's obvoius -even for a person that does not know about ammo- that it's fully empty/inert
4- A cutaway model is not ammo any more for the Dutch law as it is "scrapped" (I prefer to scrap it along a precise line).
5- If the law changes, making collecting more difficult, my collection of cutties is not influenced by that.
6- It is a very nice form of R&R to make cutaway models and than publish them.

Last edited:
I have to say pzgr 40 your sectioned rounds really are fantastic and a work of art, please keep posting the pictures on the forum.
Dave.

I dont have the skills or the confidence to try and cut stuff for other people,If something goes wrong when i am cutting something (which it does often) i am the only person who has lost an item,its not a risk i would be willing to take with other peoples items

Spotter, I beg to disagree that you do not have the skills. You have done some great pieces that I have seen on several web pages. They are a great reference source. I would like to email you a pic of a fuse one day and ask for advice on how and where. Like you say, If I mess it up it is mine. It is inert, of course, the most worrisome thing when I hear of people doing there own cutaways.