What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zeneva

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
I have some questions in regards to the ZENEVA Bosnian Grenade
according to Lex site:

http://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/sovietbalkan/bosniaherzegovina/zeneva.html

there is an offensive and defensive versions of the grenade. There have been some discussions of the grenade within the forum. But I am looking for information on the differences between the offensive and defensive versions. Is it just a sleeve that goes over the grenade or are they two different versions? And does anyone have pictures of the offensive version?

Last question is the markings on the bottom ... what factory/company is VSS, or does it mean something else?

Joe

Attachments

• VSS.jpg
    VSS.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 25
Never seen or heard of the offensive one, all in now is that the black ones I encouterd where defensive with an internal fragmentatio coil. The last on the lexpev page are the Egyptian offensive ( black) and fragmentation ( green ) which I also encoutered in Bosnia

As far as I know the Zeneva grenades are all defensive and that the information on that page is wrong. You can see in one of the pics that the black Zeneva has an internal frag coil in it. The green/black describes the color coding of the Egyptian grenades that blu97 mentioned. They are pictured on the bottom of that page. The green one has steel balls cast into the body; the black one does not.

Most Zenevas are black. There have been color variations, but I don't think it means anything.

Here a green zeneva next to the black cutaway one, the green is also fragmentation. I have seen various colors of plastic handgrenades my theory is that when they run out of black plastic they used a any colour they had. I have seen the same with paint.

Attachments

• 20160218_133120_resized.jpg
    20160218_133120_resized.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for the information ... I was curious about the offensive version, and really questioned the existence.

Does anyone have a clue about the markings? Especially the VSS?

Joe

What is interesting to me about the black one with the white lever that blu97 posted is that the frag coil is made of thicker wire than I have seen in other Zenevas and it is segmented. Every other one I have seen is like the one on Lex's page, which has thinner wire that is non-segmented.

Last edited: